New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Racking Cane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
Jack-A-Roe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Racking Cane

I used a racking cain on the end of my siphon hose today. I really don't like it because due to the diameter of the cain the bottle will not fill up all the way. As you pull up it will shut off, so you can't fill it to within one inch from the top. What else is out there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2008, 12:25 AM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I may be wrong, but I think what you are calling a racking cain is actually a bottle filler (used to fill bottles, has a little push valve to start the flow?). If that is the case, then it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. You fill the bottle up all the way (with the filler still in), then when you pull it out of the bottle it has the perfect amount of space left in the bottle. You do NOT want the bottles to be full all the way.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:35 AM   #3
Jack-A-Roe
Recipes 

Your right a bottle filler. It was leaving at least 2 inches of space at the top. I had read that want only around one inch. To me it looked like too much of a space. What are the guide lines for space?

Old 07-22-2008, 12:58 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

You fill the bottle all the way up until it just starts to overflow, then back off the wand...the displacement of the wand when you remove it automatically gives you the right amount of headspace in the bottles....

We share up some of our favorite bottling and sanitization tips here. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=72587 I even show what my rig looks like.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply