Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Racked trub into secondary. BIG problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
AugustDerleth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Racked trub into secondary. BIG problem?

So, being thoughtless, I stirred my raspberry mead shortly before racking and what I noticed is that I can see the trub laying on the bottom of the fermenter. I contemplated racking it into an empty fermenter of the same size that I have laying around, but wasn't sure if this would do more harm than good? I've heard that autolysis is understood to be less of an issue now, but I'm just curious as to whether this is a majour problem or if I will be okay just racking the mead off the trub in 30 days during next rack. Thanks for any input!

Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

SWIBA: (She Who Is Bad Ass) bought me a 6gal Better Bottle! Excellent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Yes, you're in trouble and no, you're not in trouble. Yes, trub will cause an off flavor if it is left in contact with the beer/mead for too long as it oxidizes. No, the best place for it when it is in contact with your beer/mead is under the beer/mead.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 10-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrawTap88 View Post
Yes, you're in trouble and no, you're not in trouble. Yes, trub will cause an off flavor if it is left in contact with the beer/mead for too long as it oxidizes. No, the best place for it when it is in contact with your beer/mead is under the beer/mead.
So....I should rack it off of the trub now in order to avoid off-flavourings? Or would this do more harm moving it two days after moving from primary to secondary? Thanks.
Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

Old 10-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How long are you going to secondary? I have not made mead before. In the very few beers I have ever used a secondary (IE the first 2 beers I made before I found out it was not required, and IIPAs and barleywines), I did not stir as it kind of defeats the purpose.

If you are going longer than 3 weeks I would probably re-rack in a few days to get it off the trub. Thats just me though, your mead should be ok with just leaving it there for a long time.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17 View Post
How long are you going to secondary? I have not made mead before. In the very few beers I have ever used a secondary (IE the first 2 beers I made before I found out it was not required, and IIPAs and barleywines), I did not stir as it kind of defeats the purpose.

If you are going longer than 3 weeks I would probably re-rack in a few days to get it off the trub. Thats just me though, your mead should be ok with just leaving it there for a long time.
Yeah, it was going to be re-racked in 30 days. It sounds like it might be best to rack it off the trub today, I'll already have my auto-siphon all sterilized and ready to go for racking something else so I'll just re-rack that raspberry. Thanks for the input!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
ArtVandelay
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

leave it, it is fine.

Quick Reply