Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > racked to secondary too soon?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2006, 12:55 AM   #1
Long Live Liver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default racked to secondary too soon?

I just racked an IPA to the secondary, may be too soon... I pulled the cover off the plastic bucket and there was about 3'' of crap stuck to the side , but a good amount of froth still on top of the brew, I racked to the secondary, but i wonder about what effects this may have on the final product. OG 1.08, been in primary 6 days at 65 F

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2006, 01:40 AM   #2
JRGSPE73

Recipes 

I'm relatively new at homebrewing, so take my advice at your own discretion...it sounds like you may have racked to secondary a bit early (sounds like your fermentation wasn't quite complete), but you should still be OK. What kind of activity were you getting in your primary's airlock? I would wait for things to calm down in the secondary, then rack it to another carboy/bucket (to get it off of any yeast cake or trub that might be sitting in the bottom of your secondary) and let it sit for a while (until you get little or no activity in your airlock). Once you're there, you should be good to go for bottling. If anything, the additonal conditioning should help your brew clear up some more and allow more time for your trub to settle to the bottom. As they say, Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Home Brew

Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood noob...if anyone has a better idea or if I'm way off here, feel free to correct me.

-Josh

"You sir, are drunk!"
"And you ma'am, are ugly, but when I wake up, I will be sober..."
-Sir Winston Churchill

Primary #1:
Air
Primary #2 (Plastic): Air
Secondary: Air
Bottled/Conditioning:

Bottled/Drinking: Nut Brown Ale (First Batch), Copperhead Amber Ale (Delicious!)
On The Horizon: Procrastination IPA, DunkelWeizen, Belgian Wit, Caramel Vanilla Creme Ale, Mocha Espresso Porter

Old 04-07-2006, 02:06 AM   #3
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Live Liver
I just racked an IPA to the secondary, may be too soon... OG 1.08, been in primary 6 days at 65 F
Youll be alright. you might have more trub in the secondary then normal but your beer should be fine. Just dont bottle too early! give it id say at least 4 weeks in the secondary.

i was just reading about how one English brewery drops thier beer 24 hours after the yeast starts to ferment; i.e. mid-primary!. They also purposly aerate the beer which gives it a certain "character" (whatever, i dont recomend doing that!)

you could use a tertiery or third vessel to clear the beer after a few weeks, but i dont think thats necessary.

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Old 04-07-2006, 02:09 AM   #4
Sasquatch

Recipes 

You'll be fine... but why did you rack when you did?

Primary: Lager

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 04-07-2006, 09:41 PM   #5
Long Live Liver
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
You'll be fine... but why did you rack when you did?
Spent 1 hour sanitizing everything, getting ready, etc, can't see in the bucket till I pulled the lid off... It had been 6 days so I thought it was ok, till i saw the thick foam still on top, decided not to turn back at that point

Old 04-07-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

did you still have airlock activity?
fwiw, i would've cracked the bucket open (or just looked through the airlock hole) BEFORE sanitizing all that equipment to avoid that problem... but i bet you've figured that out by now

Old 04-07-2006, 11:43 PM   #7
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

You can actually see inside a bucket if you take a reading lamp and put it directly on the lid of the bucket for a few minutes. It takes a minute or two of studying but you can differentiate between kreusen and wort/beer.

Reusable Pry-Off Bottles Wiki

Old 04-07-2006, 11:49 PM   #8
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

you could probably use these too...
http://cgi.ebay.com/X-RAY-GOGS-X-RAY...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 04-07-2006, 11:49 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like you racked during kreusening. Yes, definitely too early. Wait for the kreusen head to drop next time.

Quick Reply