New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Racked on apricot puree, does this picture look normal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
cbehr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Racked on apricot puree, does this picture look normal?

I racked my magic hat #9 clone onto the apricot puree almost a week ago after about 2 weeks in primary. It appears all the puree settled to the bottom, I'm assuming this is normal?

As the beer clears up over the next week or so will this mix in or do I just leave it all behind when I rack to my bottling bucket? I plan on cold crashing for a few days in the fridge next weekend then bottling.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
SledgeH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Looks better than normal. Sometimes the additional CO2 produced from the additional sugars (read apricot puree) makes the fruit float, which can make transfer to a bottling bucket a bit of a pain. Nice job.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Thumbless Bastard Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yep looks great. Do your best to not get any setiment into bottling bucket and you should have no issues. I have done a few beers with puree and that is what mine have looked like. All have tasted great.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
aspiehler
Recipes 

I'm about to do an apricot Belgian dubbel. I've got a 3-lb can of puree, but I can't decide to whether to add it to my primary or secondary. I've read that adding it to primary will result in more attenuation/less sweetness in the final product but also less apricot flavor, but I don't have any experience making fruit beers to validate this. Any suggestions?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
Kentunkel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiehler
I'm about to do an apricot Belgian dubbel. I've got a 3-lb can of puree, but I can't decide to whether to add it to my primary or secondary. I've read that adding it to primary will result in more attenuation/less sweetness in the final product but also less apricot flavor, but I don't have any experience making fruit beers to validate this. Any suggestions?
Add it after krausening. If you rack to a secondary, add it then. Either way you'll need to give it a longer secondary stage conditioning period.

Quick Reply