Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > R.O water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 02:24 AM   #11
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
Seriously, though... Do you know that the water is RO? I have a number of places (independent storefronts) near me that sell different waters, and I've been buying the distilled (as opposed to the RO). I get it for about the same cost...

I still plan on sending it out to Ward Labs for testing, to ensure that it is what they say it is.
I sent a sample of the walmart water into ward labs and it came back as expected - essentially nothing in it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 04:20 AM   #12
jwalker1140
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

$0.25 per gallon from machines at the grocery stores near me. I typically only use 2-3 gallons per 5 gallon batch and just can't justify the cost of an in-house system.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:45 AM   #13
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have no idea what conditions/costs are in Ontario.. but, where I live, water isn't exactly scarce.. but... I bought an RO system for my RV when traveling in Mexico.. Probably not quite as efficient as a house system.. but, I'll bet I blew thru 10 gallons of water for every gallon I put in the tank. Now, where I live, the cost of water IS going up.. Not only that, the sewer rates are going up. Water usage is closely tied to my sewer rates.

RO water from the stores coming from the big machines is really pretty cheap.. $0.35-.39/gallon. It has many steps and one of them is ultraviolet light.. kills any bad stuff.. I've had only good success with it.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:11 AM   #14
Cromwell
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by HbgBill View Post
I'll bet I blew thru 10 gallons of water for every gallon I put in the tank. Now, where I live, the cost of water IS going up.. Not only that, the sewer rates are going up. Water usage is closely tied to my sewer rates.
Water is getting more difficult and more expensive to get, especially in places like California. An RO system wastes 4-8 times as much water (down the drain!) as the water you get out of it. I could totally justify it if there was hexavalent chromium in my water, or if I were drinking well water, but in CA it's just not justifiable from my point of view. Buy it from the store.

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
HopSong

Recipes 

Yep.. you could save the effluent and put it on the lawn/trees, etc.. but, that's a pain.. It would get old for me in an NewYork second. No matter how you cut it.. whether you buy it at the store or make it at home.. there is a lot of waste. For me, it's lower water sewer bills.. and I don't have to maintain an RO system.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
Skeeter7424
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HbgBill
Yep.. you could save the effluent and put it on the lawn/trees, etc.. but, that's a pain.. It would get old for me in an NewYork second. No matter how you cut it.. whether you buy it at the store or make it at home.. there is a lot of waste. For me, it's lower water sewer bills.. and I don't have to maintain an RO system.
That's exactly what I do. My "waste" water is either collected into a side barrel for the plants/garden/lawn. Or I put it directly into my washing machine. My main problem where I live (for both brewing and my saltwater tank) was high chlorine AND also the addition of chloromine. There is also fluoride added to our city water. Thus, being a renter, and not having a water bill, an RO system installed in my basement with three 35 gallon water tubs was much easier for my situation and cheaper in the long run

Primary 1: Fireside Ale Concept
Secondary: EMPTY (OH NO!)
Bottled: Irish Red Ale, Nut Brown Ale, Honey Hefe, Left Hand Milk Stout Clone(TWEAKED!), Pumpkin Pie Vanilla Ale
Bitten by the brewing bug again!
Fish Stories Brewing...or Fish Tales Brewing...We can't decide

Old 08-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #17
cbmikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HbgBill View Post
I have no idea what conditions/costs are in Ontario.. but, where I live, water isn't exactly scarce.. but... I bought an RO system for my RV when traveling in Mexico.. Probably not quite as efficient as a house system.. but, I'll bet I blew thru 10 gallons of water for every gallon I put in the tank. Now, where I live, the cost of water IS going up.. Not only that, the sewer rates are going up. Water usage is closely tied to my sewer rates.

RO water from the stores coming from the big machines is really pretty cheap.. $0.35-.39/gallon. It has many steps and one of them is ultraviolet light.. kills any bad stuff.. I've had only good success with it.
My sewer bills are out of control too. We have these small standalone "Water Shed" stands around where I live (NW Ohio). The water undergoes a 9 step process including RO, UV, filtration, you name it. I get mega clean water for 25 cents a gallon or 5 gallons for a buck. Can't beat it!

->Mike
->Mr Beer Newb

Old 08-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #18
HopSong

Recipes 

Another thing to consider is.. when you are making RO water at home.. the effluent.. the stuff you don't want has a much higher concentration of minerals than your normal tap water. Probably a better use for it then watering plants is to use it for laundry. If you have somewhat hard water to begin with and you concentrate that hardness in making the RO water that product gets harder. If your house water is like mine, after a while of watering house plants, you will see a white crust developing on the pot and the potting soil. This can actually burn the roots.. which is why the experts suggest running water thru the pot every so often to put that mineral content back into solution and flush it from the plant ball. I'd guess spreading it around the drip line of a tree, which I did, doesn't concentrate the minerals on one spot too much.. till the next rain.. which dilutes it. All this stuff that is getting washed from the household water to make the RO are considered "salts" for lack of a better term.. maybe not table salt.. but, can have the same effect on plant life.

Quick Reply