Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > R.O water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
kerant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default R.O water

Want to fine tune my process. What is the most cost efficient way to R.O my water?

Hop Goblin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Buy it from a store.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:45 AM   #3
kwingert
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yep

Beer is proof god loves us and wants us to be happy-Franklin

Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Skeeter7424
Recipes 

Or purchase an RO system for your home. Since I keep large saltwater aquariums, I already have one. The only difference is I skip the "d-ionization" step for beer water, since I do still want some light levels of metals in the water. Check out bulkreefsupply.com for a filter, they can be had for under $100

HTH
Jordan

Primary 1: Fireside Ale Concept
Secondary: EMPTY (OH NO!)
Bottled: Irish Red Ale, Nut Brown Ale, Honey Hefe, Left Hand Milk Stout Clone(TWEAKED!), Pumpkin Pie Vanilla Ale
Bitten by the brewing bug again!
Fish Stories Brewing...or Fish Tales Brewing...We can't decide

Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 402 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 318

Take your own jugs to a store (I go to Walmart) and refill them. Don't buy new ones each time off the shelf. Refills are .39 cents a gallon for me.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufessor View Post
Take your own jugs to a store (I go to Walmart) and refill them. Don't buy new ones each time off the shelf. Refills are .39 cents a gallon for me.
...so that's ten gallons for just under four pennies?

Seriously, though... Do you know that the water is RO? I have a number of places (independent storefronts) near me that sell different waters, and I've been buying the distilled (as opposed to the RO). I get it for about the same cost...

I still plan on sending it out to Ward Labs for testing, to ensure that it is what they say it is.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
dover157
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter7424 View Post
Or purchase an RO system for your home. Since I keep large saltwater aquariums, I already have one. The only difference is I skip the "d-ionization" step for beer water, since I do still want some light levels of metals in the water. Check out bulkreefsupply.com for a filter, they can be had for under $100

HTH
Jordan

+1
I have a system from the same company for the saltwater tank, and for drinking water. One of the best investments I have ever made and the replacement filters for their systems are fairly cheep.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Store bought is probably the easiest, I happen to have a 5-stage in house system that I use for my brewing water. If you brew 5 gallon batches every other week for a year you would spend about 8 gallons X .40 X 26 batches = $83.20. An RO system is going to cost you about $200 when all is said an done so the breakeven is about 63 batches or 315 gallons of product.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 08-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #9
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
Store bought is probably the easiest, I happen to have a 5-stage in house system that I use for my brewing water. If you brew 5 gallon batches every other week for a year you would spend about 8 gallons X .40 X 26 batches = $83.20. An RO system is going to cost you about $200 when all is said an done so the breakeven is about 63 batches or 315 gallons of product.
How frequently do you have to replace the membranes/filters/etc. for the RO system? It's probably not that often, but it would still be another variable to compare costs.

I would love to have an RO system, even if it costs a little more, but I have nowhere to put one.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:08 AM   #10
dover157
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
How frequently do you have to replace the membranes/filters/etc. for the RO system? It's probably not that often, but it would still be another variable to compare costs.

I would love to have an RO system, even if it costs a little more, but I have nowhere to put one.
I change mine about twice a year. Thats just the 5 Micron Sediment Filter, 5 Micron Carbon Block and 0.6 Micron Carbon Block. With the system from Bulk reef supply all three are $21 plus shipping. The RO membrane will last for several years as long as you remember to flush it out every now and then. Size is not a huge issue in most cases. The whole drinking water system will fit under the kitchen sink, or if you just want it for brewing just bolt it to the wall in your brew area and run a supply line and drain line. The waste water is good for the garden FYI. I reccomend you check out their website, most of the systems I have seen at the home improvement stores may be a bit cheaper up front, but dont work as good and have a higher replacement filter cost.

My system ran about $500 by the time I was said and done, but I added the upgrade kit to go from 75 GPD (gallons per day) to 150 GPD and had to get a booster pump since my water pressure was to low to run the system properly. If your not wanting the 3 gal storage tank for drinking water, and have at least 50 psi comming out of your water lines a basic 4 stage system will run you 123.99. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply