Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Quick Yeast Starter Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 02:34 AM   #1
kazmiekr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Quick Yeast Starter Question

I made my yeast starter about 24 hours ago and I haven't seen a frothy layer of foam on top like when you make bread starters, but the airlock is bubbling and there is the cake on the bottom. Did I just miss the all the action? I'm assuming if the airlock is bubbling that it must be ok. I just want to make sure it's not dead.

Assuming it's ok, how long should I wait before I brew? I was planning on doing it tomorrow afternoon meaning the starter has been going for 36 hours of so. Do I just pour the entire thing into the batch?

thanks!

Kevin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2007, 03:30 AM   #2
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

The starter sounds as though it's good. Brewers yeast reacts differently than baking yeast. How exactly did you make it? The reason I ask is because it sounds like you are using dry yeast. You can go ahead and brew tomorrow, then pitch the whole thing into the wort.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:03 AM   #3
beerdad
Recipes 

Give it a smell. It should smell like beer. If it still smells sweet that's bad.

Primary #1 Panty Dropper Cider
Primary #2 Honey Brown Ale
Primary #3 Scottish Ale
Secondary #1 Empty
Secondary #2 Panty Dropper Cider
Secondary #3 Empty
Secondary #4 Empty
Bottled European Ale, Corona Clone, Raspberry White Zinfandel, Old English 800 Clone
Drinking Double IPA
More Double IPA it was great!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If I leave my starters alone, I'll always get a krausen but I usually aerate a fair bit and get a lot of foam but no chance to get krausen.

As long as you have yeast forming on the bottom, don't worry about it. You are getting the results required.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Quick Reply