Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Quick yeast starter question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

OG is 1.070

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
Eoin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfan13
OG is 1.070
Well technically speaking you should probably have made a 2000ml starter for the 1.070 OG, but since most people don't even make a starter and just pitch the vial, you are still better off.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #13
natefrog255
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Is it possible to swirl too hard before pitching if cake is firmly stuck? I just am not seeing alot of activity in my airlock but I've read that's not the end all, be all. So hoping everything is fine.

All Extract Brewer (with Steeping) Brewer Since Fall of 2011. Goal is to try All Grain in Summer of 2013.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #14
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by natefrog255
Is it possible to swirl too hard before pitching if cake is firmly stuck? I just am not seeing alot of activity in my airlock but I've read that's not the end all, be all. So hoping everything is fine.
Not really. We agitate the bejeesus out of yeast in lab. They like it rough.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
natefrog255
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the reply and good to know. I think I'm just going to ride it out and see next week what I have for a hydrometer reading. I don't really want to risk oxidation to take a reading.

All Extract Brewer (with Steeping) Brewer Since Fall of 2011. Goal is to try All Grain in Summer of 2013.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by natefrog255 View Post
Thanks for the reply and good to know. I think I'm just going to ride it out and see next week what I have for a hydrometer reading. I don't really want to risk oxidation to take a reading.
Take as many readings as you want. That's not going to cause oxidation.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Quick Reply