Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Quick question on adding sugar for carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
BillyDee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Quick question on adding sugar for carbonation

I used corn sugar in my batch of beer to ferment it. I am ready to bottle it and am wondering if I should use corn sugar or regular granulated sugar.

I was going to try dissolving the sugar in some water but have changed my mind as this is my first batch.

TIA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
RogerMcAllen
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Use corn sugar, better known as dextrose. It is a monosaccharide and easier for the yeast to ferment.

Boil a cup of water, and dissolve the dextrose in that. You won't notice the added volume of water, and this will make sure that your aren't infecting your brew.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:35 AM   #3
BillyDee
Recipes 

Just so I am correct in doing this...boil a cup of water, add the required amount of corn sugar and then ADD this to my beer before bottling?

Thanks

Old 06-10-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Most brewers put the boiled and cooled sugar solution in the bottling bucket and transfer your beer into that container. It should mix in more thouroughly with that approach.

Gary

Old 06-10-2009, 12:39 AM   #5
billymeter
Recipes 

Yes, boil the cup of water, dissolving the dextrose in the water. You want to make sure to cool it down before adding it to the beer.

Probably one of the best ways to mix in the dextrose-water is to first pour it into your sanitized bottling bucket. Then you will want to siphon your beer out of your fermenter into your bottling bucket, but make a coil at the bottom of the bottling bucket with your siphon hose.

This will allow your beer to mix and evenly distribute your added sugar into your beer while minimizing splashing. And Don't worry, Relax, and Have a Homebrew!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #6
BillyDee
Recipes 

OK, sounds good. Thanks for the quick replies.

Quick Reply