Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Quick Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
tooblue02
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Quick Question

New to the home brew experience and very excited to start! I got my kit today and I was trying to figure out if I need to drill a hole for the spigot in the bottling bucket? I have an Auto Siphon that came with the kit that I assume I will be using to move the beer from the fermenting bucket to the bottling bucket, but can I use the auto siphon to bottle the beer or do I need to have the spigot installed? If I do need to install the spigot is that something I can do easily? I am somewhat mechanically inclined but I don't want to ruin anything either! Thank you for the help, very excited to have the time and resources to start brewing the beer. For info the beer I am attempting is a centennial IPA (not sure if that changes the questions above)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 363 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 63

The auto syphon can be used for bottling. It's clumsy to fasten it down and then get the right fill level in the bottle without oxygenating the beer. A spigot on the bottling bucket and the use of a bottling wand is much easier. When you drill the hole for the shaft of the spigot, drill it high enough so the bucket will still sit on a flat surface without putting pressure on the spigot. This means tilting the bucket to get the last of the beer out.
Don't forget temperature control of the fermentation. Working yeast creates heat.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
tooblue02
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ok, got it, thanks for the help!

Old 07-27-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

You can buy a bottling bucket for about $16 with the spigot already installed and then you would have 2 fermenters and a bottling bucket, no drilling necessary. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/bottl...th-spigot.html

Old 07-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #5
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 82 Posts

+1 to RM-MN

Buy a bottling bucket and bottling wand. The wand ensures that you won't oxygenate your beer during bottling and will get a consistent fill level in your bottles. The bucket with spigot costs the same as a normal bucket and will make your life simpler than having to drill a hole at the right height and size then find gaskets etc to fit.

Quick Reply