quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelero

Reaction score
what would happen if I substituted chocolate malt for dark crystal in a simple stout recipe?

3k light DME
450g black patent
450g chocolate(instead of 450g dark crystal)

my LHBS is having difficulty getting ahold of crystal malt, and I've got to get something into the pipeline fast(2 empty carboys!)!!
thanks for the help,
c

If your LHBS can't get crystal malt, you need a new LHBS fast. Chocolate is going to give you something COMPLETELY different than crystal malt, no matter how close in color they may be. Think slightly burnt bread instead of sugary plums.

yeah leave out the choco and add 1k of flaked barley. you might need to add some 2-row to it to get the value from it - hopefully someone in the know will chime in on that.

can't get flaked barley here(mexico). i have some roasted barley but this recipe doesn't call for it. I can get ahold of some 6 row. my LHBS is the ONLY LHBS here, and of late, his malt distributor (modelo) is giving him a hard time with the crystal. Just have to wait and see. thanks for your help. any ideas for recipes sans crystal in the meantime would be welcome as well! thanks everyone,
c

Weird that a stout recipe doesn't call for roasted barley. I would use about 86 grams of roasted barley and 225 grams of 6 row. But then again, I am a noob.

it's the base stout recipe in the mosher radical brewing book

If you can't get flaked barley, can you get pearled barley, in the grocery store? Wholefoods sells it up here (philly) so it might not be available to you. I believe you can use that instead but you have to cook it first.

thanks yall. good stuff. I'm getting some 6 row today!

went to my LHBS and got some 6-row, and crystal(just got some in)
here's another couple of questions:
can I get dark crystal from toasting crystal malt?
would you make an oatmeal stout without toasting the oatmeal first?
maybe I'm just doomed to put off my brewday for a couple of weeks, and should just do some toasting today:rockin:
thanks,
c

Back