Quick newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolebrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to the hobby and I'm currently brewing my third batch, the AHS Promo IPA kit. It's an extract with specialty grains recipe.

At any rate, I was overly enthusiastic about adding water after steeping the grains, and now I'm concerned about headspace after I add the 8 lb of LME in a rather small pot (3.5ish gallons).

My question is would there be any problems letting the specialty grain tea boil for awhile until there's enough room for the LME, or would it be better to add the extract and watch it carefully until it boils down somewhat?

I appreciate the help!

Hey guys,

I'm new to the hobby and I'm currently brewing my third batch, the AHS Promo IPA kit. It's an extract with specialty grains recipe.

At any rate, I was overly enthusiastic about adding water after steeping the grains, and now I'm concerned about headspace after I add the 8 lb of LME in a rather small pot (3.5ish gallons).

My question is would there be any problems letting the specialty grain tea boil for awhile until there's enough room for the LME, or would it be better to add the extract and watch it carefully until it boils down somewhat?

I appreciate the help!

Add half of the extract at flame out, and you won't have to worry (and the beer will be better for it!)

One more question. I'm getting ready to rack one of said previous brews to a secondary so as to make room for the current brew. I sanitized it using starsan, but I'm fearing the foam. Would this much have any adverse effects? There's quite a bit more foam than I was expecting.

2012-10-14_21-11-19_921.jpg

Don't fear the foam. You might end up with a snake worthy of the starsan foam snake thread

If you pour slow enough to minimize flung you don't get foam. The snakes are cool though.

I poured out approximately 80% of my sanitizer and then swirled and shook the crap out of the last 20% to get as much foam as possible. The ran out the last bit, shook some more and filled right away. It was slow filling but ended up pretty good.

Back