Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > quick, improper chill?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
blackbear219
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default quick, improper chill?

I had a friend stop by to kill a couple hours tonight before he went to work at his 11p-7a shift. I was telling him about how I've been brewing and he wanted to try my first batch, a belgian golden, which has only been in the bottle for 10 days. I probably should have just told him it isn't ready yet and waited until I could provide a quality product but my excitement got the better of me. Since all the beers are in my closet conditioning and are obviously warm, we threw 2 of them in the freezer for about an hour and then popped them.

Mine poured fine. His poured a ton of head, but he poured it wrong (straight splashdown instead of pouring it down the side of the glass)

I tried one on Sunday and it was pretty good. At the time I said it was green but on its way to being good. This time it tasted a little watered down and even greener than it did on Sunday. His wasn't that great either, he said it had an aftertaste and I'm guessing it was kinda flat from his bad pour.

I know most people say to chill them in the fridge for at least a couple days before drinking, and I know the beer isn't fully conditioned yet. I'm probably answering my own question here and just looking for verification, but did we most likely have a sub-par experience because the beer wasn't properly chilled? I would ask if my beer is getting worse, but I know that's just a paranoid newbie reaction and I should probably just RDWHAHB

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 03:21 AM   #2
msehler
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The chill is mainly to bring the liquid down in temp so the CO2 that's been trapped in the bottle can absorb into the beer. It won't affect your "green" taste too much (time will, though), but it will have a large impact on your carb level. Put one in the fridge for a few days (after 3 weeks bottle conditioning) and try it.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:29 AM   #3
Tizzomes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I sure there fine just work on your patience.3 WEEKS min in the bottle tell your buddy to pick up a 6 pack next time.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:41 AM   #4
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

it will be much better after it carbs and conditions. also i've found that the beers are better after sitting in the fridge for a week or so (not that i don't start drinking as soon as they are cold). i guess its kind of a cold conditioning?

Old 08-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2005 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 1484

After conditioning at room temp,I put them in the fridge for 5-6 days. It'll get chill haze as soon as it cools down. But it settles out over the time stated,& the yeast trub will compact on the bottom of the bottle. The co2 will also have time to be absorbed into solution for proper carbonating.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
Mpavlik22
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I think you are just experiencing " green beer". I no longer bottle condition, but when I did I noticed it took 3-4 weeks to get proper carbonation and good tasting beer. Not the two weeks people tell ya.

Try them again in another two weeks and you'll notice a big difference.

"If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail"

Old 08-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycov View Post
it will be much better after it carbs and conditions. also i've found that the beers are better after sitting in the fridge for a week or so (not that i don't start drinking as soon as they are cold). i guess its kind of a cold conditioning?
I've experienced this too. Co2 will be properly absorbed after chilling 24-48 hrs, but the overall impression of the beer will improve after it's chilled for several more days. Also, always wait AT LEAST 3 weeks for the beer to carb at room temp before chilling.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Quick Reply