Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Quick Fermentation Temp Question!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
PKisNJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Quick Fermentation Temp Question!

Hi gang,

I am still a little new to the crowd. I just recently hopped back into homebrewing and I have just had a great brew day. I brewed up a one gallon batch of brown ale and a 2.5 gallon batch of pale ale from separate kits. (I live in an apt so my brew size had to be scaled down)

As for my question I am currently fermenting both carboys in a mini-fridge with a johnson a419 controller hooked up to it. The probe is attached to the wall of the brown ale and insulated with insulating foam tape, a little bubble wrap and duct tape for good measure. The optimal temp for the brown ale is a wide range of 60-75, while the pale ale was recommended at 68-75. Currently I have the temp controller locked in at 69 degrees. Does this sound like a happy medium?

I look forward to your feedback.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Depends on what you want from the yeasts. I'd actually go 66, but I like to ferment a little cooler

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I personally don't let ales get over 68 unless I'm doing some belgian.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 10-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #4
rygo796
Recipes 

I allow fermentation to take place near room temp with ok results. What I mean by this is I set my temp control so that it doesn't have to 'work' so much depending on the temp range for the beer.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #5
PKisNJ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I decided to lock in the fermenter at 66, which many seem to agree to be a good temperature for both ales.

Hopefully this works out well!

Old 10-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #6
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

What yeast strains are you using? Given that you're going for a brown and a pale ale, I'm guessing you're using something British. In general, sticking to the cool side of the recommended range gives the best results, but if you're using some of the more temperamental British strains, you may have to ramp the temps back up after a few days and maybe even "rouse" the yeast to keep 'em working. However, if it's something like S-04, It's pretty hard to screw up.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
PKisNJ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8shandini View Post
What yeast strains are you using? Given that you're going for a brown and a pale ale, I'm guessing you're using something British. In general, sticking to the cool side of the recommended range gives the best results, but if you're using some of the more temperamental British strains, you may have to ramp the temps back up after a few days and maybe even "rouse" the yeast to keep 'em working. However, if it's something like S-04, It's pretty hard to screw up.
Just for your reference I am using Danstar Windsor ale yeast which came with the kit. I have the temp controller set to cut in with a set point of 67 and a diff of 1 degree. So the beer is holding between 66 and 67. Do you think this is still too high?

Old 11-20-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
IanPC
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm not that keen on temps. I stick between 66-72. Best ipa I ever made was fermented at 72. Came out great. I guess it's just a personal preference, and what you are looking or in flavors. I was using wyeast 1056 made into a 1000ml starter.

Quick Reply