Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Quick cool down before pitching?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
bfinleyui
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Quick cool down before pitching?

Doing my second brew tonight, and with an ice bath in my sink, it still took close to an hour and a half before I could get my wort down to 68 to pitch the yeast.

Without a wort chiller (already spent well over my beer budget this month...), what's the best strategy to speed that up? If it takes an hour+ to get it down to temp, what am I risking?

Conditioning:
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast, Winter Warmer, Imperial Red

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Throw in 6 frozen water bottles, I can get mine to pitching temp within 20 minutes.

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 11-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Before I got mine (get one as soon as the money comes to you, you WON'T be sorry) I would add plenty of salt to the ice water (like how you make ice-cream) and I would make frequent Ice/water batch changes. Also keep moving the water around the kettle moving. As the water gets warm around the sides of it, swirl more in.

If you notice the water start to get warm, drain the sink, add more ice, salt, and water, and proceed.

In the last 15 minutes of the boil, drop your brew spoon inside the kettle, and don't touch it, that way it will be sterile. Every little while stir the wort to move it against the cooler sides of the kettle. Also have a thermometer in there, either a floating one, or one hanging from the side....

After a couple of ice changes, partially cover your drain with something, but leave it partially open so water flows down SLOWLY (I could actually position my kettle to block the drain, and put a small plate under it to lift one little corner of it, OR if you have a double sink, let the water overflow into the other sink and drain, and turn the faucet on to a slow to medium trickle to keep the water moving and changing.

Hope this helps

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2004 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

I can get mine down to 70F in no more than 25 minutes. 20 or a hair less typically. I had a DOH! moment one fine brew day. I realized I was doing the chill a$$ backwards by filling with water first,then ice. I then started doing a couple minutes in cold water 1st to take some initial heat off the BK. Drain,then fill sink to the top with ice,then top that off with cold water. Chills down faster this way.
Having said that,After the holidays I'm going to make a dual coil chiller. The water will go from the tap into the one in the right sink bowl with ice water. Then into the hot BK & drain out. I think this will get the fastest chill possible in this situation.
Revvy Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 637

What Revy said...the salt and the stirring of the wort and ice water made a dramatic difference for me. I actually have to rush around and get my yeast ready if I want to pitch it around the 60s.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Check under your sink for leaks after you do this. I did this several times in my sink and the weight cracked a drain pipe and I had a hell of a mess in my basement. The Sink is upstairs... DOH

Check out my latest cheap wort cooler thread.

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 11-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2004 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC0 View Post
Check under your sink for leaks after you do this. I did this several times in my sink and the weight cracked a drain pipe and I had a hell of a mess in my basement. The Sink is upstairs... DOH

Check out my latest cheap wort cooler thread.
Yup,on my tax time honeydo list. Except it was the right side where the insinkerator is,& the seals on the damn faucet. It's a Moen too. Cheap junk. Now I gotta replace the cabinet too. Good think Blowe's has it for about $65. Might be able to do the whole job better for $200 or a bit less. And pipe dope on the PVC connectors with those lil plastic valve seat insert-lookin things. I'll seal this damn thing up yet.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

My tap water is sanitary. I boil down to 4 gallons and add 1 gallon of ice. 10 minutes (or there-a-bout)

Quick Reply