Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Quick Brew Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
jonbrout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Quick Brew Question

I'm currently 20 minutes into my 1 hour boil. I'm doing the Yooper's Dead guy extract clone. I have 1 oz perle and 1 oz saaz and the hop schedule is as follows. 1/4 perle @ 30, 1/4 perle @ 5, and 1/4oz saaz at 5. Instead of opening the whole OZ of saaz could I just use 1/4oz perle i have left? I'm curious if it would make a big difference. If so, I have a irish red ale in primary (1 week in) and was wondering if i could use the 1/2oz of the perle and the 3/4oz left from the saaz to dry hop it. Also, the malts are 4lbs LME and 4lbs DME, I've already added the LME and my plan is late addition of the DME. I can do that right to help avoid extract twang?

I think thats all for now... may be back in a minute. lol.

thanks for the help!

Edit: I have not had a hot break yet and im 30 minutes in... Normal? I normally always get a hot break.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Reno Homebrewer

Recipes 

You should follow the recipe. Perle Hops generally have a much higher alpha acid content than Saaz. The Saaz Hops are there for aroma and flavor, while the Perle are pretty much just bittering Hops.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Belgian Dubbel, American Pale Ale, Irish Red Ale (Yeast Fuel experiment), Doppel Bock
Up Next: Brown Ale

Old 02-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
rasherb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't worry too much about the hot break. The extract people already do the breaking back at the extractory (that's extract + factory).

I'd stick to using the Saaz on your Dead Guy. They are fabulous hops, and Perle lacks some of their character.

You could totally dry hop your Irish Red with the Perle and Saaz. It would be an interesting beer for sure. I'd love a nice caramely beer with some spicy hops.

Then again, dry hopping could give you some vegetable or grassy flavors that would be awful in an Irish Red.

If you do DH the IR, just go for 2-3 days to avoid the vegetable and grassy flavors.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

Recipes are chemical mixtures, deviation from the recipe can give a different end product. Not necessarily bad, just not what you were aiming for.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts

You need to measure the AA%, not the oz weight (unless the AAs are the same)...

FWIW, you really need to get all your ingredients together and make all the necessary measurements BEFORE you start brewing. This way when you are going about the process you don't need to re-think any ingredients or measurements. A great stress reducer...

Old 02-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
jonbrout
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I just went with the 1/4oz of each at 5 min. I didn't concern AA values since i was just going with Yoopers Recipie. I saved the excess hops in ziplock bags. Like I said, I have an Irish Red in primary (1 week in) and would love some more insight on dry hopping it. It was an extract kit from midwest. I believe 9ish lbs of LME and 1oz of frugal @ 60. I have 3/4 oz Saaz left and 1/3ish oz of perle.

After brewing Yooper's clone, my OG was 1.08 which is kinda high.. it was suppose to be 1.06. I'm fairly sure my wort was mixed well, however, I noticed there was a lot of setiment during the hydro reading. Does that affect the reading? I hope this turns out well...It was kind of pricey.

Quick Reply