Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Questions from a newbie in Korea

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #11
Ó Flannagáin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

You can skip the secondary, but you need to make sure you still give the time to ferment in a bucket that youw ould in the secondary. so, 3 weeks primary, 3 weeks bottles, instead of 1 primary 2 secondary.

You can get away with 2 weeks in primary then to bottles, but 1 week isn't long enough and could lead to bottle bombs.a

Are you measuring gravity? That's a good way to tell if fermentation is done or not, measure before the fermentation, then after. If you get the same reading for 4 days in a row then fermentation is most likely done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #12
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosh
Well the instructions don't have a secondary and I don't have anything to put a secondary in, so I guess its 1 week primary, 2 weeks bottles?
No if you don't have a secondary then the best idea is 2-3 weeks primary, 3-4 weeks bottle. After a week in the bottles it should be carbonated and drinkable but will improve with age. A total of 6 weeks from brewing to drinking is a pretty good rule of thumb.

You should pick up a second fermenter with spigot to use as a bottling bucket. Some vinyl food grade tubing is also a good idea. Boil the priming sugar (3/4 cup corn sugar) in a small amount of water and add it to the bottling bucket. Transfer the beer from your primary to the bottling bucket using the tubing to avoid splashing and aerating. Then you can use the spigot on the bottling bucket to fill the bottles.
Poor quality bottles may break when capping or under pressure from the carbonation. If you can get better quality bottles do so. Not sure of the situation in Korea but in the US most mass market beer does not come it bottles well suited to bottling homebrew. We have to look for craft beers or buy new glass.
Craig

Old 04-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4623 Times on 3357 Posts
Likes Given: 906

Also, when you put the beer in bottles, you need a small piece of tubing (or a bottling wand) to fill the bottles from the bucket. You can't just open the spigot and pour- it'd oxidize for one thing, and overflow the bottles, too, I'd think. Can you find a small vinyl tubing to fit one end of the spigot and the other end in the bottle? (or maybe you have that taken care of- if so, sorry I missed it)

Old 04-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #14
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick
Also, when you put the beer in bottles, you need a small piece of tubing (or a bottling wand) to fill the bottles from the bucket. You can't just open the spigot and pour- it'd oxidize for one thing, and overflow the bottles, too, I'd think. Can you find a small vinyl tubing to fit one end of the spigot and the other end in the bottle? (or maybe you have that taken care of- if so, sorry I missed it)
This is the recommended method however a friend of mine have been filling bottles from the spigot for a couple of years without a problem. So it is definitely a workable solution.
Craig

Old 04-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #15
Bosh
Recipes 

Thanks so much all, I think I've got things mostly figured out now.

The hydrometer sample I just drank tastes almost exactly like Becks Dark. Not my favorite beer, but definately very drinkable and a hell of a lot better than Asian beer so so far so good.

On deck: Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Bourbon Red Ale
Bottled: Dunkelweizen and Dunkel

Quick Reply