Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Questions on bucket primary/secondary fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Poppy360
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Questions on bucket primary/secondary fermentation

Hi everyone. I just posted up in the Introductions thread so you can find out a little more about me there.

Anywho, I'm a complete newb with homebrewing. I received a kit for my birthday from my gf and I can't wait to get a batch going. FYI, the kit came with a primary fermentation bucket and lid, bottling bucket, bottle capper and filler, thermometer, auto-siphon, hydrometer, cleanser, bottle brush, and manual. I also got "The Joy of Homebrewing".

I'm headed up to the homebrew store today to pick up my first ingredients for a batch o' beer. Hopefully something hoppy and delicious.

I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of days now and I see that the 1-2-3 method is preferable for brewing. Since I don't have a second fermenter can I still do this? If not, what should the process?

The book recommends 3 days primary, then switch to the airlock and allow 7 days, then bottle, but from what I've read here it's not enough time.

Should I pick up another carboy today?

Thanks for the answers...I did try searching but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
mozicodo

Recipes 

If you can afford it definitely pick up another carboy. Better bottles are also fine. They're plastic carboys. You'll only need a 5 gallon one for secondary and don't forget the bung and airlock.

Xtreme Mashtun Build Open Beer Data Project @aptidude on identi.ca

Android Software: ZymTools Free ZymTools Full

Old 05-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1483 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 932

What happened to me was that i got my kit and started adding carboys, etc...
Now it's an obsession that I'm trying to control.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Pick up another carboy / bucket. It makes a big difference.

Also, don't expect your first batch to be great. You'll be too excited to leave it alone and you'll end up screwing it up. Also, I'll put $2 down that you'll freak when you push the grommet through. Don't.

So, don't really share your first batch with your friends or else they'll think homebrew is nasty. Wait until you get a few under your belt.

Read, read, read. Just keep reading until you find yourself answering other people's questions. Don't just read techniques, read reviews of micro brews. You'll pick up a lot from seeing how big breweries do it.

Finally, don't brew something you don't know about. Spend the $10 on a 6er on a style that's new to you and then decide whether or not you could go through 2 cases in a few weeks.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Pick up another carboy / bucket. It makes a big difference.
I think that statement depends on a number of factors and you will not get much of a consensus on the topic. There have been 10+ page threads on other forums when the topic is debated. Personally, I use a secondary/bright tank with everything cept wheats.

anyhows...to the OP, for your first batch of beer I wouldn't be too worried about needing a secondary. It's going to be a learning experience as is so enjoy and brew some beer!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
Poppy360
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies everyone!

How does the brewing process change without a second fermenter, in relation to the 1-2-3 method?

I just read the first section of "How to Brew" and he recommends two weeks in the primary bucket and then two weeks in bottles. Is that about right?

Old 05-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy360

How does the brewing process change without a second fermenter, in relation to the 1-2-3 method?

I just read the first section of "How to Brew" and he recommends two weeks in the primary bucket and then two weeks in bottles. Is that about right?
yup

..but you will find that 3 weeks + in the bottle will result in more developed flavors for many beers. Course in the interest of awareness I start sampling at the two week mark to gauge the progress

Old 05-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #8
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy360

You could leave it in the primary for 10-14 days then bottle, but any longer than that and you run the risk of some off flavors. I'd also recommend that you go ahead and spend the $25-$30 on a glass/plastic carboy I personally think that the beer benefits greatly from clearing for 2-3 weeks.

I rushed my first brew (which I think most everyone does) and while it was certainly very drinkable, all of my brews since then just keep getting better in quality.

Patience is one of the keys to good beer.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:29 PM   #9
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
You could leave it in the primary for 10-14 days then bottle, but any longer than that and you run the risk of some off flavors.
Fwiw, Palmer recommends up to 3 weeks in the primary for single stage brews

Old 05-16-2007, 03:41 PM   #10
SilverAnalyst
Recipes 

Hmmm, all this advice about waiting sounds great. But I started my first brew on Saturday and I'm already antsy about getting it out as soon as possible. I'll probably be botteling it this Saturday and start testing a week after that. I just want my first brew to be as quick as possible so I can prove to myself that this works.

After that I will start the wonderful road towards perfection. Oh, I love this already!

Quick Reply