The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > questions with brewing..and such

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
SYKEKO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default questions with brewing..and such

Ok ..Im pretty new to this.. I started my first brew from a Bru-Mix can you can get in sobeys... I did everything it said.. but I never added anything to the mix.. I put it into a Carboy with the yeast.. then when it was done I filtered it and put it into 2 liter bottles.. now I tried some while I was bottling and it was right watery.. still smelt like beer.. and had a beer taste but it tasted watered down... so my first question is.. will this get stronger over time? I also added some sugar to it and it seemed to make it alittle better but i'd still like to know..

Now my 2nd question. When I bought my Filter Kit. The woman there told me that it would filter all my sugar out of my beer.. is that true?.. because I was going to mix up another brew and add a Kg of sugar to it .. but what would be the point if its just gonna be filtered out. or does this matter?.. thanks for any help guys.. wonderful site you have here..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If your beer was completly finished fermenting, then there shouldnt be to many sugars there to ferment out. Also depends on the size of the filter as well. Not to familiar with the brews in a can though.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
SYKEKO
Recipes 

yeah that makes sense... Im gonna say it was done.. there was no bubbles and all the yeast was at the bottom... the filter I have is pretty big
its a EuroFilter for beer and wine I can't find a pic of it but heres a picture of the box
http://www.winemakeri.com/v/vspfiles...s/16436-2T.jpg

and heres a Pic of the bru can i used.. idk if it will help or not..

http://www.brewingcentres.ns.ca/beer...bm-bru-mix.jpg

but all in all if I add Sugar to my brew it should dissolve i guess into my brew?..

Old 07-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
Ksosh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

More sugar should make a more alcoholic beer (up to a point), since that's what the yeasties use to make alcohol in the first place. The beer probably had ~3-4 pounds of extract per 5 gallons, which is a little weak. A kg (or two) of sugar should make it stronger, but might not make it 'better'.

-Ksosh
----------------------------------
Primary: Belgian Dark Strong, Version 2
Secondary: Second running session ale #2

Old 07-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

An issue with filtering before bottling. You need yeast in the bottle to carbonate your beer. Read this. This will give you a big boost on your way to making excellent beer.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
SYKEKO
Recipes 

ok.. well.. that could be my problem...didn't add any sugar.. I took a reading and it was 1% alc.. so this brew I'll be adding a Kg of sugar and see how it turns out.. guess i'll have to try different things til I find somthing that works..lol... thanks for all your help

Old 07-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
SYKEKO
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerkrump View Post
An issue with filtering before bottling. You need yeast in the bottle to carbonate your beer. Read this. This will give you a big boost on your way to making excellent beer.
ok now im confused... The reason I bought a Filter was so I didn't have yeast in my beer.. now your saying i need that yeast so my beer will be any good?.. maybe im missing somthing here.. but what would be the point of a Filter system then?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

To carbonate, you need the yeast to eat the priming sugar that's added when you bottle. Otherwise you would have flat beer.

I haven't filtered any beer that I've made thus far, but I would imagine it would work best if you were going to keg the beer instead of bottle. When you keg, you don't rely on the suspended yeast for carbonation, rather you force CO2 into the keg under pressure to carbonate.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
SYKEKO
Recipes 

ok..so do all of you pour ur beer into a glass before you drink or what?... I wanna try to avoid that and just drink out of the bottle.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 2698 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Then you'll need to keg, and then bottle from the keg with a Counter Pressure Bottle filler.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Quick Reply