The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Questions about yeast energizer.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Questions about yeast energizer.

I have had my Boston Lager in primary and the last 3 days it's been at 1.015. It's projected final gravity is 1.008-1.012.

I have used yeast energizers in the past, but I believe I used it on a wort I nuked the yeast to death so nothing really happened.

This fermentation has stayed right in the middle of the correct temperature range the entire time. I pitched the yeast properly and everything.

I plan to rack to a secondary today. The yeast energizer smells like ass and I'll sacrifice a couple SGs in order to not affect the taste of the beer.

I'm basically just curious if anyone has had any taste issues using yeast energizers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
FxdGrMind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mine is stalled but I'm at day 6 now...

I wouldn't want something like this in my beer for a few SG's....
Quote"The yeast energizer smells like ass"

OMG Thats just Wrong!

Old 01-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I had a batch of apfelwein (3068 yeast) that stalled out at 1.008; I boiled up about a 1/4 sized dose of energizer and added it in. Smelled bad so I was worried.

There was a foam-up (have a blowoff ready!) but the fermentation restarted nicely and dropped to the expected FG. The resulting cider is great, with no hint of the energizer corpse/catpiss smell.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Brewmasters Warehouse
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeast energizer does smell bad, but does work pretty well. If the SG is only .03 points higher than expected you can add the energizer but it may not make any difference. If you missed some of your temps then you could have extracted some more complex sugars that can not be fermented out. If you want to add it go ahead it may work very well, but it may not lower the SG any either.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Quick Reply