Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Questions About Water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
jvotava91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Questions About Water

My tap water taste pretty bad so I do not intend on using that. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of water to get? Distilled? Drinking water? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Distilled isn't all that great for brewing unless you want to completely customize a water profile by adding different chemicals to it. Most people just use good quality bottled water. If you need a water profile for a specific brand there's usually someone on here who has posted it or you can call/email the manufacturers who are usually pretty good about sharing that info.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Upthewazzu
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzARzz View Post
Distilled isn't all that great for brewing unless you want to completely customize a water profile by adding different chemicals to it.
I'm curious about this part of your quote. I used 3 gallons of unfiltered tap water and 2 gallons of distilled in my last batch, and now I'm wondering if I screwed up.

For my next batch, I was planning on using 3 gallons of filtered tap water and 2 gallons of distilled water. Should I change that?

Old 01-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
jeburgdo
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You don't want to use 100% distilled water because it lacks the minerals and things you want in beer. If you use, as you did, 3 gallons of tap water and 2 gallons of distilled, you will be in effect just be softening your water, which depending on your water profile could be a very good thing.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 824

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeburgdo View Post
You don't want to use 100% distilled water because it lacks the minerals and things you want in beer. If you use, as you did, 3 gallons of tap water and 2 gallons of distilled, you will be in effect just be softening your water, which depending on your water profile could be a very good thing.
That's true if you're mashing grain, but for an extract batch with steeping grains, distilled water is fine.

Some grocery stores have those "water machines" that supply reverse osmosis water cheap, and that's an ideal brewing water.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvotava91 View Post
My tap water taste pretty bad so I do not intend on using that. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of water to get? Distilled? Drinking water? Thanks
Define tastes bad? If it isn't usuable for brewing, just buy a jug or 2 of water.

My Girlfriend is from a small town in NH and they get their water from a ground well and she thinks our city water tastes bad, but to me it's fine, I just filter it incase there's chlorine in it.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
jeburgdo
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
That's true if you're mashing grain, but for an extract batch with steeping grains, distilled water is fine.
Ah, yes, of course. Thanks for being more precise than I was.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:

Some grocery stores have those "water machines" that supply reverse osmosis water cheap, and that's an ideal brewing water.
I could be wrong, but as I understand the properties of distilled water (unrelated to brewing) you could have issues with super heating but that shouldn't be an issue with brewing I'd imagine.

I'm just against distilled and other forms of water because they're so expensive. I forget the exact number but it's like 2000 times more expensive to buy water than just use tap water. Say a 5 gallon jug of water is 10 bucks. If you brew 20 batches of beer in 2 years you've spend at least 240 bucks on water. If you buy a reverse osmosis machine for 200 bucks (so a pretty nice one) you still make out since your cost for tap water will be like 3 dollars.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 824

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
I could be wrong, but as I understand the properties of distilled water (unrelated to brewing) you could have issues with super heating but that shouldn't be an issue with brewing I'd imagine.

I'm just against distilled and other forms of water because they're so expensive. I forget the exact number but it's like 2000 times more expensive to buy water than just use tap water. Say a 5 gallon jug of water is 10 bucks. If you brew 20 batches of beer in 2 years you've spend at least 240 bucks on water. If you buy a reverse osmosis machine for 200 bucks (so a pretty nice one) you still make out since your cost for tap water will be like 3 dollars.
But it's like 37 cents a gallon at the "water machine" in grocery stores, for high quality water.

True, tap water is often ok and can be cheaper. But removing the chlorine or chloramine, and perhaps removing bicarbonate if needed is often not practical for brewers.

I bought my own RO water machine about a year ago, so that I can have RO water in my home. I use some tap water, too, depending on what I'm brewing.

Distilled or RO water is always ideal for brewing, while sometimes people's tap water is fine. Some tap water shouldn't be used for brewing. It really depends on each person's water source.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
But it's like 37 cents a gallon at the "water machine" in grocery stores, for high quality water.

True, tap water is often ok and can be cheaper. But removing the chlorine or chloramine, and perhaps removing bicarbonate if needed is often not practical for brewers.

I bought my own RO water machine about a year ago, so that I can have RO water in my home. I use some tap water, too, depending on what I'm brewing.

Distilled or RO water is always ideal for brewing, while sometimes people's tap water is fine. Some tap water shouldn't be used for brewing. It really depends on each person's water source.
As I understand it, a charcoal filter (or leaving your water out overnight) removes the chlorine, and for chloramine a charcoal filter also usually works, but if you want to be safe a campden tablet will make sure you're good.

Again, as I understand it, a lot of America (not all mind you) if you just filter your water you're fine. Especially for extract brewing. Though I think that if you're going to do AG brewing, going with RO and then building up your water profile to fit your beer is the best way to make perfect beer (wouldn't want super hard water in a pilsner, you'd wonder why it tastes nothing like a great pilsner.

Quick Reply