Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Questions about transferring my primary fermenter during fermantation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 01:46 AM   #1
boralyl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Questions about transferring my primary fermenter during fermantation

I brewed a batch at a friends house on Saturday afternoon and it's currently fermenting. It's my first high gravity beer and it has a really active fermentation...I had to use a blow off tube and it's bubbling non-stop. I'm heading home tomorrow morning and have a 2 hour drive. So I suppose I have a few questions.

1) What effect will the drive have on my beer in the car?
2) Suggestions for keeping the fermenter as stable as possible?
3) I'll have to put on the entire 3 piece airlock to transfer it and remove the blow off tube, what's the risk of the co2 popping my airlock off?

Like I said before it's extremely active, the SG was 1.074 and I used two starters and a yeast fuel pill in the last 10 mins of the boil.

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

No worries. Just make sure the fermenter won't tip over. I don't see why you can't keep the blowoff on, unless youre afraid the blowoff container will tip over.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:00 AM   #3
boralyl
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I guess my primary concern was any negative effects from moving the fermenter and having it swish around a bit during the drive. I suppose I could rig up something to keep the blow off container from tipping and spilling.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

The yeast are already going crazy in there. There is also a blanket of CO2 from fermentation. While its probably not something you want to do with every beer, some bumping and bouncing isn't going to hurt it. Actually, its probably better to be moving it now than if you were to move it after fermenation had finished.

Tags
fermentation, primary, travel

Quick Reply