Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Questions about priming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
Colin86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Questions about priming

It isn't really an issue, just more of a curiosity.

I primed my first brew for bottling by dissolving the sugar in water and pouring it into the brew, but I have a friend who started his first brew and he primed his by adding sugar directly into the bottle...

I remember doing that method with the Mr. Beer kit, but can it still work when using more traditional brewing methods?

How do some of you more 'seasoned vets' do things, and how effective are the results?

As a side note, my first batch, a Continental Pilsner is almost done with the long wait to drinking!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
rl1373
Recipes 

I would think that the only issue would be getting inconsistent amounts of sugar in each bottle resulting in uneven carbonation among the batch. IMO, its alot quicker to disolve sugar into water and added it to the bottling bucket. I can imagine it would take some time to even add sugar to each individual bottle. Unless of course your talking about priming tabs which I have no experience with.

Priming is priming. Irregardless if your talking about all grain brewing or mr beer. Its still yeast eating sugar creating carbonation.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Colin86
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I figured as much, thanks for the info!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
Mrtickel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hello

Yea priming is priming as rl1373 said and i have used the priming tabs and they are ok to use but you better results when bulk priming.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
Colin86
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I went back and forth between what I knew how to do from my Mr. Beer beginnings (priming bottles individually) and trying out bulk priming. I went with bulk just to save me some hassle lol. Plus when I was brewing my first batch I found myself in a constant of fear and I could only imagine the state I'd have been in measuring out all of that priming sugar.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

On my small 0.75 gallon test batches I prime all 6 bottles seperatly. Anything larger I batch prime.

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Quick Reply