The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Questions about malt crushing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
Hopper5000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 46

if you are ordering your grains online i believe you can request that they be crushed first.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
dryboroughbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This is kind of fun, maybe a grain mill from amazon.co.uk? (I believe they ship to Finland). Failing that I found this site. http://www.kotiviini.fi/ (disclaimer I have no affiliation with these folks, know nothing about them, etc)

Old 08-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
kojinakata
Recipes 

Likes Given: 30

I dont order my malts but make them at home. If I order them online, I will make sure they will be crushed . I know that website, but experienced a few difficulties when ordering.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
brewkinger

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojinakata View Post
Yes. Its hard but could not think of another way to do it.
Check out some of the DIY videos and things on YouTube and the such.

There are plenty of ideas there on installing a manifold, false bottom or screen type filter and then draining via the spigot on the side of the cooler.

Good Lord Man, that is a lot of heavy lifting!!! And not a very efficient way of getting the job done.

This forum is a great tool... use it and ask a lot of questions and we will have you on your way in no time at all.

PRIMARY: Dirty Blonde
SECONDARY-Dry-hopping: Regal Pale Ale
SECONDARY-Dry-hopping: SNPA Clone
SECONDARY: Unknown Ale (Partigyle from RPA and SNPA)
BOTTLED / CONDITIONING: Bass Ale Clone
Conditioning and Drinking: MO-Fuggle SMaSH
Conditioning and Drinking: MO-Willamette
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 659 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojinakata
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewkinger
You actually pick up the cooler and dump it into the kettle through a stainer?
Yes. Its hard but could not think of another way to do it.
How about the way everybody else on the planet does it? The way described all over this website and in every book ever written on all-grain brewing? Use a fine-mesh bag to contain the grains in a pot (for Brew-In-A-Bag) or a stainless braid, false bottom, or bazooka screen in a cooler (for cooler mashing).

If you made your first batch without crushing the grains at all, then there's very little chance you actually made beer, as there would have been virtually no sugars released for the yeast to feed on. You simply must find a way to crush your grains, or there's no point in even bothering. It's a fundamental step in brewing.

For small batches, you can get by crushing the grains with a rolling pin, or you might have some luck with the careful application of a food processor, but the "correct" approach is to use a grain mill. Either your own, or at the LHBS, or borrow from another brewer, or order your grain already milled. But one way or another, the grain must be milled.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #16
brewkinger

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
How about the way everybody else on the planet does it? The way described all over this website and in every book ever written on all-grain brewing? Use a fine-mesh bag to contain the grains in a pot (for Brew-In-A-Bag) or a stainless braid, false bottom, or bazooka screen in a cooler (for cooler mashing).

If you made your first batch without crushing the grains at all, then there's very little chance you actually made beer, as there would have been virtually no sugars released for the yeast to feed on. You simply must find a way to crush your grains, or there's no point in even bothering. It's a fundamental step in brewing.

For small batches, you can get by crushing the grains with a rolling pin, or you might have some luck with the careful application of a food processor, but the "correct" approach is to use a grain mill. Either your own, or at the LHBS, or borrow from another brewer, or order your grain already milled. But one way or another, the grain must be milled.
+1
Crushed grains are VERY important.

PRIMARY: Dirty Blonde
SECONDARY-Dry-hopping: Regal Pale Ale
SECONDARY-Dry-hopping: SNPA Clone
SECONDARY: Unknown Ale (Partigyle from RPA and SNPA)
BOTTLED / CONDITIONING: Bass Ale Clone
Conditioning and Drinking: MO-Fuggle SMaSH
Conditioning and Drinking: MO-Willamette
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
kojinakata
Recipes 

Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post

I did it only for one batch because I could not wait to get on with brewing. I will probably go with the BIAB method since it is much easier.
It tasted nice, that was enough for me . Now that you expressed its significance, I will look into malt crushers. I opened this thread because I wanted to know if there was a way other than buying or building a crusher. Ordering or making one takes time, a lot of time in fact for someone as lazy as me, thus any alternative is better.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

You could even check out Ebay over there for a grain mill.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #19
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I understand the lazyness factor, but I really don't think it's that difficult to go online and order a grain mill from somewhere that can get it to you. Even if it isn't fast, you can experiment with your coffee grinder in the mean time. But if you are malting your own grain and going to all that trouble, ordering a grain mill seems like a pretty easy task to pull off. It just makes sense to have the right tool to get the job done. This isn't What kind of pot, plastic or glass fermenter, what brand of burner, crushing grain is a basic part of the brewing process, it's something you want to do right. Look up carona mills here and on the rest of the internet, a lot of people here use them and that would probably give you just what you need. I just don't think this is one area you want to try to find a workaround on.

Untappd Username: Clonefan94

Hopper5000 Likes This 

Quick Reply