New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > questions about cleaning copper manifold, and wort cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
sorefingers23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default questions about cleaning copper manifold, and wort cooler

i was reading that i should clean my wort chiller in boiling water and vinegar before using it, and was wondering should i have done the same for my copper mash tun manifold as well?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
Zooom101
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Because it's used before the boil, contamination is not a concern because the wort will be boiled before fermentation. If it is caked in crud, then yes, you should clean it.

Bottled/Kegged: Crappy Bock (my first brew!), IPA, Manny's Octoberfest, Paulaner Hefe-weizen clone (my first all-grain!), Ed's Honey Oatmeal Stout, Dos Equis clone, Pumpkin Spice Ale (my first ruined batch), American Red Ale, Angel Wings from BCS, Edworts Apfelwein, American Wheat from BCS,Terrapin Rye Pale Ale from CYBI, Munich Madness from BCS.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
sorefingers23
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok so the fact that i used it for my first all grain batch and didnt clean it with vinegar and water, wont affect the taste of my beer?

Old 07-08-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Zooom101
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm not entirely sure. But my best guess would be no.

Bottled/Kegged: Crappy Bock (my first brew!), IPA, Manny's Octoberfest, Paulaner Hefe-weizen clone (my first all-grain!), Ed's Honey Oatmeal Stout, Dos Equis clone, Pumpkin Spice Ale (my first ruined batch), American Red Ale, Angel Wings from BCS, Edworts Apfelwein, American Wheat from BCS,Terrapin Rye Pale Ale from CYBI, Munich Madness from BCS.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
AiredAle
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

If this is the first time you used it, you would have been wise to clean it thoroughly with an alkaline cleaner like Oxyclean or dishwasher detergent in hot water to remove any grease, oil or dirt that was present. Then a rinse with vinegar in water to neutralize and dissolve any excess oxidation present. After the first use, the wort will dissolve or reduce the oxides of copper and give you a shiny coppery chiller. No need to clean it after that unless it sits a long time and corrodes again to brown or green colors. If it does, a water and vinegar soak will take care of it.

Quick Reply