New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Questions about bottle carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
nasmeyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Questions about bottle carbonation

After drinking a few bottles of my first batch I have noticed differences in carbonation levels bottle to bottle. Some are almost flat, while some have much more carbonation, or somewhere in-between. They all were bottled at the same time from a bottleling bucket with boiled priming sugar. Even though I haven't noticed any leaks from my bottles, and they don't twist unless cranked on extremely hard, my concerns are the bottle caps and capper used. I used the generic caps that came with a simple kit, while my new kit has a name-brand caps (DeGroen's) which appear to have a thicker seal inside of the cap. Can a better cap seal better? can a generic cap leak some carbonation? My capper looks like it is a mod creta or mod greta and seems to work OK. Any thing else I might be overlooking that might cause this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
flowerysong

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If the priming sugar isn't completely mixed with the beer it will cause uneven carbonation. Gentle stirring will help make sure that the priming mixture doesn't stratify and end up concentrated in some of the bottles.

Primary #1 - Empty
Primary #2 - Empty
Secondary #1 - The Jolly Toper's Undrinkable Ale
Secondary #2 - Empty

Old 12-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
Mirage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 to that. You can also get it mixed well without stirring yourself (I am lazy) but putting your priming sugar mixture into the bottling bucket and then lay the siphon hose at a slight angle or kinda curled on the bottom. This will make the enter at an angle and make it gently swirl and thus mix thoroughly.

On Tap: Heavenly Scourge Black IPA and Beecave Heffe
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Next: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale and Pliny the Elder Clone

Old 12-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
earthad1
Recipes 

So after you boil the priming sugar, do you need it to cool down to a certain range before adding it to your bottling bucket/beer?

Does it mix better at certain temps?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Place the priming sugar into your bottling bucket before you begin the siphon, stir before bottling, then stir after every eight bottles. I've had very consistent carbonation when following these procedures. Don't stir too vigorously, though. Just enough to move the beer around, but not enough to cause a lot of surface disturbance.

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Old 12-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1) The sugar solution will always drop to the bottom of the bucket - you need to take time to stir it in properly.
2) Make sure your bottles are of good quality - did you say you were using twist off's? - they can be unreliable
3) almost all commercial caps seal just as well but make sure that you are crimping all the caps tightly - look at the crimp after you cap your bottles.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
alpo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah, swirl it when siphoning and stir it for good measure. I do both. Just stir slow and make sure not to splash.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthad1 View Post
So after you boil the priming sugar, do you need it to cool down to a certain range before adding it to your bottling bucket/beer?

Does it mix better at certain temps?
Your priming sugar needs to be cooled down to room temperature. It should be about the same temp as the beer. Just follow the basic priming procedures and you'll have no problems.

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Old 12-29-2008, 08:29 PM   #9
earthad1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikan View Post
Your priming sugar needs to be cooled down to room temperature. It should be about the same temp as the beer. Just follow the basic priming procedures and you'll have no problems.
Cool, thanks.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Your priming sugar needs to be cooled down to room temperature. It should be about the same temp as the beer.
While you shouldn't take your priming solution from boiling right into the bottling bucket, a few minutes cooling off the burner is all you need. The massive volume difference between the beer and the priming solution will equalize temperature incredibly fast.

Quick Reply