The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question on secondary and bottle temps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
LeftyMcGee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question on secondary and bottle temps

I live in Arizona and am thinking about purchasing a brewing kit. I figure I can put the primary carboy in the tub with some cold water to regulate the temp. Would I also need to do this with the secondary and with any bottles being conditioned?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 12:37 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4196 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

If you're using a secondary, temperature control is stil important, but not so much for bottle conditioning. We always suggest allowing the bottled beer to sit 3 weeks at 70 degrees before sampling. I don't know if 70 degrees in in your "do able" temperature for the bottles, but warmer won't really hurt it.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:42 AM   #3
thorongil
Hobbit at heart
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ah, the wonderful world of temperature control in the desert... I've been using the tub o' cold water method myself with the occasional ice addition and it works fine - but can be a PITA. I eventually plan to get a chest freezer for fermentation temperature control.

Quick Reply