Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > question/ observation about bottling and carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2009, 05:18 AM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default question/ observation about bottling and carbonation

When I was bottling my beer the other day, I would fill a bottle, lay the cap on top and repeat the process until I had 12 full bottles, Then I would crimp the caps down. I noticed a few of the bottles " burped" while setting there with the caps laying on them. The cap actually lifted and dropped...is this normal or is it a sign of too much priming sugar ( 5 oz in a 5.5 gallon batch---51 bottles). I am asking because I just read the thread on NO carbonation after 3+ weeks. And I am trying to learn.

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
PintOfBitter
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A little bit of CO2 is in the beer from fermentation in the carboy. it probably offgassed from the disturbance of dispensing the beer into the bottles. I'd be surprised if any CO2 was generated from the priming sugar that quickly.

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 10-24-2009, 05:33 AM   #3
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I typically bottle about 12 like you said but I cap them all at once so I have not seen them "burp". I'm 99% sure that what you are seeing is gas being let off from the beer rather than CO2 being produced by the priming sugar+yeast. Similar to when you rack to a secondary and you see a lot of airlock acitivity immediately after. Dosen't really mean the yeast started up again but it's like shaking a pop can. (yeah it's pop not soda) Either way don't worry about it as it won't affect your final outcome.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:33 AM   #4
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Damn PintofBitter you beat me.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
RunBikeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with the above comments. One question, though: you did wait to bottle until fermentation was all done, right? (For reference, my minimum times are one week primary, then two weeks secondary, then bottle.)

If not, I'd be sure to put the bottles somewhere easy to clean. And wear eye protection...

Old 10-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

That has happened to me also every time I bottle. I pull 9 bottles at a time off the bottle tree fill them and lay the cap on them. Sometimes they burp also. Not all of them though. I don't think it is due to the priming sugar, that would be a quick reaction. I think it is the co2 released from bottling.
The first time it happened I got worried also.

Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Old 10-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunBikeBrew View Post
I agree with the above comments. One question, though: you did wait to bottle until fermentation was all done, right? (For reference, my minimum times are one week primary, then two weeks secondary, then bottle.)

If not, I'd be sure to put the bottles somewhere easy to clean. And wear eye protection...
two weeks primary...one week secondary.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
RunBikeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
two weeks primary...one week secondary.
OK, you're probably in the clear. Likely just CO2 coming out of solution.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 71

It was just CO2 releasing from the beer. Even though the beer isn't under pressure in your fermenter, some CO2 stays in suspension. When the beer is disturbed it releases. This is actually a good thing. The CO2 will help remove air from the bottles which will help prevent oxidation.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 10-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
When I was bottling my beer the other day, I would fill a bottle, lay the cap on top and repeat the process until I had 12 full bottles, Then I would crimp the caps down. I noticed a few of the bottles " burped" while setting there with the caps laying on them. The cap actually lifted and dropped...is this normal or is it a sign of too much priming sugar ( 5 oz in a 5.5 gallon batch---51 bottles). I am asking because I just read the thread on NO carbonation after 3+ weeks. And I am trying to learn.
That is exactly WHY it is recomemnded to set them on top for a few minutes. What happens is that any co2 being formed will push out any oxygen still left in the head space. That way you won't oxydize the beer.

It is voiding out any excess O2.

THe reason someone doesn't have carbonation after 3 weeks has NOTHING to do with that...THe reason a person might not have carbonation at that time is because.......

The beer's not ready yet, that's it.

Guys, guys, guys...

When we say 3 weeks at 70 degrees, we say that that's usually the average minimum time it's going to take.

If if bottles aren't ready by then, then you just gotta wait some more.

I've had beers that have taken 6-8 weeks before they were all carbed up. My Belgian strong took 3 months.

You just have to have patience.

ALL beers will reach their level of carbonation eventually. In fact, it's possible (and proven by running the numbers in beersmith) to NOT add priming sugar and get minimal carbonation/style of a few volumes in time (in old brewing british brewing books they didn't add sugar to some ordinary bitters, and milds and relied on time and temp to do the work naturally.)

More info can be found here....Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

But it all usually really boils down to the fact that, if not all bottles are carbed, then the batch isn't really ready yet....and will be...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply