Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question on Oak Wood Chips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
baseballstar4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question on Oak Wood Chips

I am looking for advice on the use of oak chips during secondary fermentation. I have read/seen many different opinions on this topic and can't decide on what to do. Bake vs. Boil the chips? Amount of chips to use in the secondary? I am more than likely going to brew an ESB and thought of soaking the chips in a Bourbon for a week or 2 before adding them to the secondary. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

I've only oaked once. That being said, I boiled the chips, then tossed them in the primary after fermentation was complete.

If you soak the chips in bourbon, I would leave them out to dry before adding them. I'm not sure how you would do this without inviting bacteria, but it is possible that the bourbon absorbed by the oak would fight this. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more knowledge than I have. Good luck.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
BeernuT100
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballstar4 View Post
I am looking for advice on the use of oak chips during secondary fermentation. I have read/seen many different opinions on this topic and can't decide on what to do. Bake vs. Boil the chips? Amount of chips to use in the secondary? I am more than likely going to brew an ESB and thought of soaking the chips in a Bourbon for a week or 2 before adding them to the secondary. Any help would be appreciated.
you can bake them if your wanting more of a charred taste, no need to boil them.

If your talking about a 5 gallon batch then you usually dont need more than a hand full for 2 - 4 weeks

-bn

Old 02-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

To sanitize mine I soaked them in Jack Daniels for about a week...since they were the Jack Daniels Bourbon barrel smoking chips anyway..It was excellent.

Though in the future I may dry toast a bit of them before sanitizing them.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Aren't the chips already toasted?

Brew Strong: Wood Aging

Old 02-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Mine were...but not toasted enough...more like a light toast...I'd be interested in a medium sometime.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

I just kegged a batch I had oaked. I use 20z of medium toast french oak chips in 5 G for 2 weeks. It's been off the oak and in the keg for 2 weeks this saturday. It's tastes like wood. But it was a simple Marris Otter SMaSH. I boiled some water, let it cool, the soaked the chips in the water. I did this based on another thread that suggested saturating the chips before adding to your beer cause they absorb a lot of liquid. If they're not saturated with water first they'll absorb your precious beer. So the chips themselves were not sanitized, just the water they soaked in.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 02-26-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I just kegged a batch I had oaked. I use 20z of medium toast french oak chips in 5 G for 2 weeks. It's been off the oak and in the keg for 2 weeks this saturday. It's tastes like wood. But it was a simple Marris Otter SMaSH. I boiled some water, let it cool, the soaked the chips in the water. I did this based on another thread that suggested saturating the chips before adding to your beer cause they absorb a lot of liquid. If they're not saturated with water first they'll absorb your precious beer. So the chips themselves were not sanitized, just the water they soaked in.
The "woodiness" does fade back with time...like hops...Mine lost the woody bite after about 6 weeks in a bottle...

Old 02-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
The "woodiness" does fade back with time...like hops...Mine lost the woody bite after about 6 weeks in a bottle...
I figure this will happen, I just hope I have some hop bite left.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 02-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
mageerc
Recipes 

I read to steam the chips in a veggie steamer for 20 minutes before adding them to the secondary fermenter...

Quick Reply