Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question on making beer with wine equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
tmoney1224
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question on making beer with wine equipment

I have a chance to get a really good deal on this kit: Vintners Best

I'm really just interested in making beer and maybe Apfelwein, but wanted to get some peoples opinion on if I could use most of the items in the kit for those purposes. For example are wine hydrometer the same? Would I need a extra bottling bucket or could I just use the bucket included for that?

From my noob perspective it seems like everything I need is in this kit except a pot, some bottles, caps, and a capper, but just want to make sure I'm not wasting my money.

Thanks, and I really enjoy reading this site.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Most wine hydrometers are calibrated in Brix, but conversion to points is easy. Otherwise, not much difference.

A bottling bucket is always a good idea.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You do realice that your bottling apparatus will be worthless unless you put all your beer in wine bottles. The corker and a beer capper are entirely different animals.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
flowerysong

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
The corker and a beer capper are entirely different animals.
Actually, some floor corkers can also be used for beer bottles using an optional crown cap adapter.

Primary #1 - Empty
Primary #2 - Empty
Secondary #1 - The Jolly Toper's Undrinkable Ale
Secondary #2 - Empty

Old 02-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerysong
Actually, some floor corkers can also be used for beer bottles using an optional crown cap adapter.
*raises eyebrow*

Really? That's cool to know....I'm going to need a wine corker down the line when my apfelwein and the mead I'm making this weekend get ready to be bottled.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #6
tmoney1224
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerysong
I figured I would just throw it on ebay if it wouldn't work, but thats good to know.

Thanks

Old 02-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #7
tmoney1224
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Most wine hydrometers are calibrated in Brix, but conversion to points is easy. Otherwise, not much difference.

A bottling bucket is always a good idea.
So the extra bucket then have included wouldn't work? Figured I could just use the carboy as my primary and the bucket for bottling?

Old 02-08-2008, 10:50 PM   #8
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You can get hydrometers with all three brewer's scales on it (brix, SG, and plato).

you don't want to brew beer and wine in teh same bucket...the flavors and aromas can mix.
different styles of beers can all be done int eh same bucket, because its all beer. wine has no malt or hops.

keep plastic fermenters to specific brewing purposes. Glass carboys, however, can be rotated to different tasks.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 02-08-2008, 11:05 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

How much is this wine kit gonna cost you? If it's 60-70 bucks, then you can get the same thing in beer form, with a capper and a 3 way hydrometer. If it's dirt cheap then get the kit.

You can get a food grade plastic bucket at any big box hardware store for 5 bucks. Look for one that has a mark a couple inches below the lip labeled "5 Gallons." (Not 5 gallons to the top of the bucket.)

Then get a spigot at a homebrew shop for 3 bucks, and drill a hole in the bottom of the bucket...Viola a cheap bottling bucket.

(Lowes has almost clear buckets with one gallon markings up the side of it for about 4 bucks...)

Old 02-08-2008, 11:37 PM   #10
cronxitawney
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
How much is this wine kit gonna cost you? If it's 60-70 bucks, then You can get a food grade plastic bucket at any big box hardware store for 5 bucks. Look for one that has a mark a couple inches below the lip labeled "5 Gallons." (Not 5 gallons to the top of the bucket.)
Are these buckets actualy marked "Food Grade"? I have been told that the buckets from hardware stores are not food grade. Food grade buckets are marked HDPE 2, but not all buckets marked HDPE 2 are necessarily food grade. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply