Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question on Dry hopping/Moving to Secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
sacks13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question on Dry hopping/Moving to Secondary

I plan to move my beer to secondary soon and wondered whether anyone has done the following:

1) Strained the beer when syphoning into secondary? Obviously this would need to be done as smoothly as possible to reduce aeration - but is it worth the effort/risk? I didn't strain from boil to primary.

2) If I plan to dry-hop, can I add the hops after the beer has been in the secondary for a day or two rather than at immediate transfer? I may not get the hops until a day or two after I have to make the secondary move. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
Thalon

Recipes 

I tried that once, not straining the primary, though I took it another step further: I never strained that batch at all! I ended up racking it about 3 times in a row trying to leave all the floaties behind. I don't know whether I aerated it more doing it that way or if I should've just strained it like I was otherwise going to.

Since then, I came up with another plan: sanitize a cheesecloth, and stick it around the end of your siphon that goes into the primary. That way it gets filtered before it even gets siphoned. Of course it won't get your beer crystal clear, but it should keep the floaties out.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:03 AM   #3
sacks13
Recipes 

What about dry-hopping? Can I rack to secondary and a day or so later add hops to the secondary?

Old 05-31-2007, 01:07 AM   #4
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

By straining do you mean acturally running it thraough a strainer? If that's what you mean, don't. Just be carefull when you rack to secondary, all of the sediment is at the bottom of the primary. You can dry hop when you rack or later, it doesn't matter, but I don't know why you wouldn't just do it all at the same time.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Quick Reply