Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > question on conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default question on conversion

As is usual I have been asked to produce something weird...a corn based ( not malt based) beer . Supposedly this person has had this somewhere and wanted me to attempt it. How much 2 row would I need to add to 10 pounds of either flaked maize or regular field corn to actually get conversion? if using field corn do I have to actually cook it first? I am shooting for about 5-6 % ABV. Also will 2 row do it or will I have to go buy some 6 row?

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
drewN
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Newb question, what us 2 row? Keep seeing that around.. Trying to get my analogies down

My Blog/website
http://www.canadianoakbrewing.com/creation-blog.html

Old 12-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewN View Post
Newb question, what us 2 row? Keep seeing that around.. Trying to get my analogies down
2 row is a type of malted barley. It is the usual base malt for most beers.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 12-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewN View Post
Two-row is malted barley, used as a base malt for beer.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewN
US produced 2 row base malt.

Sounds like maybe Chicha beer. If you wanted to keep it 100% corn you could malt some of the corn. Or do like Dogfish Head and chew it up and spit it into your mash fun.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
As is usual I have been asked to produce something weird...a corn based ( not malt based) beer . Supposedly this person has had this somewhere and wanted me to attempt it. How much 2 row would I need to add to 10 pounds of either flaked maize or regular field corn to actually get conversion? if using field corn do I have to actually cook it first? I am shooting for about 5-6 % ABV. Also will 2 row do it or will I have to go buy some 6 row?
I have no idea. But here's a thought- you could definitely get more DP (at least a little bit) out of 6 row. I think most current 2-row base malts have a DP similar to 6-row, but for the most part 6-row is a little bit higher even so.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbusbrewery View Post
US produced 2 row base malt.

Sounds like maybe Chicha beer. If you wanted to keep it 100% corn you could malt some of the corn. Or do like Dogfish Head and chew it up and spit it into your mash fun.
i have thought about malting some corn but this time of year that will be rough to do. I do have a temp controlled room for fermenting but it would take a lot of space I think to do it.....Unless I malted it and knocked off the sprouts and just went with it still wet rather than trying to dry it? HMMMM.....
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 12-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2103 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

Sounds like what he's talking about is Native American corn beer called Tizwin,pronounced Tizween. The corn is sprouted,then boiled down (reduced) 50%,then added to the FV,repeat till all is boiled. That's the way they did it on the OG. No barley malts,just corn. It was said to resemble English ale. I was thinking of after sprouting,bake in the oven till a light golden brown. I thought maybe it'd get more flavor & color. Gotta get some dried sweet corn though. Maybe 1 bushel...

Old 12-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Sounds like what he's talking about is Native American corn beer called Tizwin,pronounced Tizween. The corn is sprouted,then boiled down (reduced) 50%,then added to the FV,repeat till all is boiled. That's the way they did it on the OG. No barley malts,just corn. It was said to resemble English ale. I was thinking of after sprouting,bake in the oven till a light golden brown. I thought maybe it'd get more flavor & color. Gotta get some dried sweet corn though. Maybe 1 bushel...
bought 50 pounds of shelled corn this morning , trying my hand at malting a small amount of it to make this with no malted barley ...just corn
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 12-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2103 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

Was the dried corn sweet corn? That's what they used originally. Field corn wouldn't work as well,& tastes funky to me.

Quick Reply