Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question on carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Klickmania
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Question on carbonation

I kinda sorta goofed up the carbonation on my first two batches of beer. I used 3/4 cup dextrose in 2 cups of boiling water as per Charlie Papazian's recipe for 5 gal. Everything went really smooth but for some reason I forgot that you need to let them sit at around 70*F for a week or two after you bottle. So in all my "wisdom" I stuck them right in the fridge. I know that won't hurt the beer, it'll just take forever to completely carbonate. My question is, will they carbonate faster if I take them out of the fridge at this point? Or has that ship sailed and now I have to play the waiting game. I'm also assuming that gently agitating them to re-suspend some of the yeast wouldn't hurt either(?). Thanks in advance!

P.S. Both beers taste fine and the IPA I brewed has some carbonation in it, they both pour absolutely no head.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Take them out of the fridge, and let them warm back up. Then after a couple days, give them a shake to rouse the yeast, and leave them alone for a couple more weeks.

When you put them in the fridge the yeast goes to sleep, warm it up, they wake up and go back to work.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the quick response man! I'll definitley do that before I head in to work this afternoon. I'm really glad this is the only step I kinda botched for these first two batches lol.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 348 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Listen to Revvy.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
neosapien
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 395

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
Listen to Revvy.
I wonder how often that gets said here...

Quick Reply