Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question on Boiling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
StrangeDog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question on Boiling

I've read a lot about people worrying about boil over when brewing.. but I have a problem of a different sort.

I can't tell if my stove just kinda sucks, but it takes damn near forever for my wort to get to a boil and even when it finally does it's pretty weak. So it never really gets to a good rolling boil - It hasn't been much of a problem so far other than really testing my patience when it takes an hour (or more) to get it to a boil before adding hops. Does anyone else have any experience with this or any advice on a good trick to speed up the boil?

If this is normal though then that's good to know - Just more time to enjoy another homebrew I suppose.

“If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and and can't tell who the sucker is, it's you.”
-Paul Newman

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Yup, it's a problem many of us experienced - which encouraged us to go pick up a "turkey fryer" on the cheap at the wally world or some other mega-mart.

Small expense, but watch it - you're on a slippery slope! Next, it will be dedicated refrigerators for fermenting, kegerators, mash tuns, ....

And while the turkey fryer pots will probably work, you get what you pay for - so it's the burner and stand you're getting. The pot will probably be of poor quality. Save up, get a nice 10gal or better. Oh, and you'll need a propane tank if you don't have one.

then sit back on your porch, balcony, garage, outside, and boil away!

Old 07-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yep turkey fryer and then you too can worry about boil overs, until you get a keggle and well then you are just done for turn your wallet over and pour out all the folding money you have.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So far I'm doing ok on controlling my *ahem* hobby spending. I've leeched an outdoor burner from my brother and *ahem* borrowed a friend's crawfish boil stockpot (takes me to 2 5 gal pots). Only thing I've spent money on is the initial cost of my gear, ingredients, and commercial beer for the bottles.

I spotted a nice Igloo cooler in my neighbor's garage this morning that looks like it needs "liberating".

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor planning on your part doesn't necessitate an emergency on mine.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 07-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
StrangeDog
Recipes 

Yeah - I'm quickly learning that I could be dropping some major cash on this new hobby. So far it's been limited to the basics but every time I go online or to the shop I see new toys that would look great at my place.

Thanks for your help all - I might look into the turkey fryer soon.

“If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and and can't tell who the sucker is, it's you.”
-Paul Newman

Old 07-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Can you boil smaller quantities of water in other pots, get them to a boil then combine in your brew pot and hopefully maintain the boil?

Oh and +1 for the fryer and keggle. I bought my burner at a yard sale for 5 bucks with a full propane tank, and snagged a keggle for $40 from a brewery!

Old 07-23-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
StrangeDog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXVolt View Post
Can you boil smaller quantities of water in other pots, get them to a boil then combine in your brew pot and hopefully maintain the boil?
Well - the main problem is getting the wort to boil after adding the malt extract... the density of the syrup I'm guessing takes it longer to boil.

-Paul Newman

Old 07-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This worked for me: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/impr...tovetop-53683/

Old 07-24-2009, 04:50 AM   #9
PassThePint
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Have the fryer... but how "hard" should I boil?

I've had the turkey fryer for a while and invested in a big 7.5 gallon stainless steel pot, but once I hit boiling, I quickly back off the flame until I get a nice slow boil. I've read about hot break, but I don't know if I've ever seen that and my 1st batch of beer was cloudy (Irish Red) and until I added some gelatin the other day, my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th batches were also cloudy (yes, I jumped in without even tasting my 1st brew...)

Any tips on how you can tell a boil is going to create hot break and is that a good thing?

-PassThePint

Primary1: Willy Nilly Porter
Primary2: Nut Brown Ale
Primary3: English Bitter (X1.5 Hops)
Secondary: None
Secondary 2: None
Secondary 3: Red Oktoberfest lager
Kegged: Cream of Wheat Beer

My brewing (mis)adventures at HitsTheLips.com

Quick Reply