Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question from a beginner.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
whiskeyjack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Like RM-MN said you can do biab with a decent size pot. 7.5g + If you think you will get into all grain I would go ahead and go for it. Don't make the mistake and buy 3 different size pots like I did because I started out extract, then partial, then all grain. If you have a 7.5 pot you can do BIAB with only a pot and a bag, and if you want to fly sparge or batch sparge later on you always can and don't have to get a bigger pot.

"Many mules have matched wits with me, yet almost all have failed!" Pust

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsismyhero
So in your opinion which is better tasting? All grain, partial grain or full extract?
Depends on the brewer! Attention to pitch rates, fermentation temperature and aeration makes more impact on beer quality than how the wort was made. Plenty of extract brewers win competitions. I use all 3 techniques and consider all of them effective tools for certain jobs. Each one has its place, just up to the brewer to pick the best tool for the job...

Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
hjsismyhero
Recipes 

Man am I glad I joined this forum!
I appreciate the advise. I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more from me.

In fact, next question.…

I just finish conditioning my first batch with my new kit. I did a lemon coriander Weiss but there isn't much head retention.

I've read something's about it but just wondering if it was the lemon zest that was added or maybe a flaw in the brewing process?

Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #14
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 743 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsismyhero View Post
Man am I glad I joined this forum!
I appreciate the advise. I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more from me.

In fact, next question.…

I just finish conditioning my first batch with my new kit. I did a lemon coriander Weiss but there isn't much head retention.

I've read something's about it but just wondering if it was the lemon zest that was added or maybe a flaw in the brewing process?
How long has it been bottled? It does take some time for the beer to get to where you get head retention. If you get a head with big bubbles and it's gone right away, try a little more time. The other factor is your glassware. Is it clean enough? Did it just come out of a dishwasher that used jet dry or something similar? Any soap residue kills head on the beer. You might go to washing your glasses by hand and rinse really well.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
hjsismyhero
Recipes 

It has been bottled for just about three weeks now. At least ones that I haven't refrigerated or drank yet. Haha.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #16
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 126 Posts

I'm not 100% sure of the effect of lemon zest on head retention, but I certainly doubt it helps. Also, with something like lemon maybe that's best added fresh to the rim of the glass rather than your brew kettle. I always reccommend new brewers brew the simplest beer styles they enjoy. Simpler recipes offer greater chance for success, and are easier to diagnose when something isn't perfect...

Old 02-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #17
hjsismyhero
Recipes 

I think you had something with the glassware. I just rinsed my glass and wiped it down really good and the head looks better already.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 AM   #18
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Just wanted to add, since you said that you started out with Mr. Beer, that the Mr. Beer LBK is an ideal fermenter for doing 2.5 gallon batches of All Grain, BIAB, brews. Handy if, like me, you only have a 5 gallon brew kettle.

And All grain (especially the BIAB method RM-MN suggests) isn't as difficult as you inevitably think, prior to trying. Was definitely intimidated, myself, by the thought of maintaining an exact mash temp for an hour, or more, calculating volumes of water needed, strike temp etc. Etc. It can be done in a very un-empirical manner and still turn out decent beer or you can pay attention to every single detail and, maybe, turn out some outstanding beer. As mentioned by others, above, if you have the processes of sufficient wort aeration/yeast pitching rates and fermentation temperature control you'll make great beer whether you do extract or all grain

Quick Reply