Question about steeping and high volume boils.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmatt

Hop Addict
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am doing an extract brew tomorrow and am going to be steeping some grains. I have been reading that the bigger the volume of your boil the better for the overall color and taste of your beer (especially for hop bitterness) but I also read that you should steep your grains in as little water as possible. My thinking is to steep in 1.5 gallons and then add as much more as I can (probably only another 1.5 gallons because I don't have a huge brewpot) before adding my DME and hopping. Would this work?

How much specialty grain are you going to steep? I assume 1 to 2 lbs? If so 1.5 gal should work. Have you checked out Deathbrewer's easy partial mash video? Basically steep the grain in a grain bag (do you have one of these?) at 154ish for about 30 min to 1 hour - then once you're done with that, tea bag the bag of grain in another gallon or so of water at 170F for a couple/few minutes to rinse the grains. Combine those two amounts, and proceed as normal with boiling.

If you don't have a grain bag, you could use a strainer to get the same effect. Pour the grains through the strainer, then rinse those with 170F water into the boil pot. You don't want to boil the grains - remove as much as you can from the boil.

How much specialty grain are you going to steep? I assume 1 to 2 lbs? If so 1.5 gal should work. Have you checked out Deathbrewer's easy partial mash video? Basically steep the grain in a grain bag (do you have one of these?) at 154ish for about 30 min to 1 hour - then once you're done with that, tea bag the bag of grain in another gallon or so of water at 170F for a couple/few minutes to rinse the grains. Combine those two amounts, and proceed as normal with boiling.

If you don't have a grain bag, you could use a strainer to get the same effect. Pour the grains through the strainer, then rinse those with 170F water into the boil pot. You don't want to boil the grains - remove as much as you can from the boil.

Yes, I have a 1 1/2 lbs of grain. I have some 1/2 lb muslin bags for steeping. So I should steep them in 1.5 gallons at 150-155 for about an hour and then steep them again in at 170 for a few minutes in another gallon and combine? Then add as much more water as I can handle and boil my DME and hops as usual?

When mashing in all grain recipes many figure somewhere between 1.25 to 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grains. But for steeping grains, I would overshoot this some, maybe even double it. In any case, what you are planning should be fine.

Yes, I have a 1 1/2 lbs of grain. I have some 1/2 lb muslin bags for steeping. So I should steep them in 1.5 gallons at 150-155 for about an hour and then steep them again in at 170 for a few minutes in another gallon and combine? Then add as much more water as I can handle and boil my DME and hops as usual?

actually thats for a partial mash recipe. if your steeping grains does not have any base grains in it you don't need to do the mash at 150-155. when i do an extract and specialty grain recipe like you are i put a gallon of water in my pot and heat to 160F then lower in the grain and make sure its fully wetted. then let it sit for 30 minutes or so. then remove the grain and add the extract. next i top up to my boil volume.

actually thats for a partial mash recipe. if your steeping grains does not have any base grains in it you don't need to do the mash at 150-155. when i do an extract and specialty grain recipe like you are i put a gallon of water in my pot and heat to 160F then lower in the grain and make sure its fully wetted. then let it sit for 30 minutes or so. then remove the grain and add the extract. next i top up to my boil volume.

great, thanks for the advice!:mug:

Back