Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > question about starsan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
packy28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default question about starsan

I recently ordered some supplies from AHB one of which was some Starsan.. forom what i gather (being a newbe) It is mixed at 5 gal. My question is if it is mixed in 5 gal how long can i keep it before i need to dump it. Can i keep it stored in one of my empty pails between uses or do i need to dump it and re-mix every batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
ChandlerBang
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by packy28 View Post
I recently ordered some supplies from AHB one of which was some Starsan.. forom what i gather (being a newbe) It is mixed at 5 gal. My question is if it is mixed in 5 gal how long can i keep it before i need to dump it. Can i keep it stored in one of my empty pails between uses or do i need to dump it and re-mix every batch.

I use Iodophor, but I'm pretty sure you can mix it in any quantity you like.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:56 AM   #3
anchorage42
Recipes 

It's one ounce of Star-san for five gallons of water. The best part is that if you overshoot it a little, there won't be any negative effects.

IIRC, you can keep it for a few weeks before it starts losing it's effectiveness. It stays best if you cover it up!

Old 01-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #4
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You don't need to mix a large batch. It isn't necessary to fill containers to sanitize them. A small quantity splashed or sprayed to make contact with the entire surface area of a vessel or tool will take care of things.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:15 AM   #5
packy28
Recipes 

thanks for the fast replies this site is awsome..

Old 01-20-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Distilled Water

If you use distilled water and keep it sealed, it will last for months. When you use tap water it becomes hazy in a few weeks generally indicating (but not always) the pH has changed and it is no longer an effective sanitizer.

I have been working off the same 5 gallons for almost a year (10 brews or more) and I still have 2+ gallons. If your equipment is cleaned thoroughly before sanitizing you can pour it back in your storage container when you are finished.

Two things in closing

1. A $.99 spray bottle and wallpaper tray are your friends. The spray bottle is handy when taking hydrometer reading among other things. The wall paper tray is good for long spoons, hoses and two handed bottle sanitizing. Both can be found at your local big box hardware store for less that $10.00.

2. Don't fear the (starsan)foam! You can search this site for a number of threads on this topic.

Cheers

Old 01-20-2011, 02:28 AM   #7
ShakerD
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

From what I understand it doesn't last that long if you mix it with tap water. I had a bucket go south over night. It made everything slimy that was soaking in it.

If you mix it with distilled water it will last for around a month or until it goes cloudy. I have a gallon of distilled water starsan mix that I always keep on hand. I pour it in a spray bottle and use that for a lot of the sanitation. It was the best bang for your buck addition to my brewing supplies period.

Best was to tell if it's still good is with ph strips. You can buy them off eBay for around a buck a pack. They are not super accurate but close enough to tell if sanitizer is still good.

bad67z posted while I was typing so I guess +1

Last edited by ShakerD; 01-20-2011 at 02:29 AM. Reason: bad67z posted while I was typing so I guess +1

Old 01-20-2011, 02:37 AM   #8
TheGeek
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakerD View Post
From what I understand it doesn't last that long if you mix it with tap water. I had a bucket go south over night. It made everything slimy that was soaking in it.

If you mix it with distilled water it will last for around a month or until it goes cloudy. I have a gallon of distilled water starsan mix that I always keep on hand. I pour it in a spray bottle and use that for a lot of the sanitation. It was the best bang for your buck addition to my brewing supplies period.

Best was to tell if it's still good is with ph strips. You can buy them off eBay for around a buck a pack. They are not super accurate but close enough to tell if sanitizer is still good.

bad67z posted while I was typing so I guess +1
+1

If you plan to keep it over a day or so, use distilled water. Tap water mixed with StarSan won't last long. (Watch for it to get hazy, you know its not working at that point)

Quick Reply