Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question about secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
HebrewPaleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question about secondary

I am currently brewing a batch of Strawberry Blonde Ale. It fermented just fine and I am about to transfer to a secondary. But the bubbles have stopped coming out of the airlock. It's only been five days . . . how will this affect my beer ( I am still going to transfer it to secondary and add isinglass for clarity and 4lbs of strawberries, I would just like to know how this will effect the overall brew)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
tamoore
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebrewPaleAle View Post
I am currently brewing a batch of Strawberry Blonde Ale. It fermented just fine and I am about to transfer to a secondary. But the bubbles have stopped coming out of the airlock. It's only been five days . . . how will this affect my beer ( I am still going to transfer it to secondary and add isinglass for clarity and 4lbs of strawberries, I would just like to know how this will effect the overall brew)
Have you taken a hydrometer reading? If you haven't, your primary fermentation might not be done, and you'll end up with a beer that hasn't attenuated out.

This would cause the beer to have a lower ABV, and to taste slightly sweeter.

On tap:
ESB
My best IPA
Paddlers Pale Ale

On Deck:
3% Summer Session IPA
SNPA inspired pale ale.

Brewing this week:
Irish Red.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
PHBalanced
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it's likely a big part of your fermentation is done. I would personally wait 3-5 more days and then transfer to secondary. The best way to really know what's going on is to take a hydrometer reading. There really shouldn't be any effect on your brew at this point so.... RDWHAHB.

~~~P

You buy your smack pack at lunch, as well as some DME for starters. Get back in your car, smack it likes it's SWMBO's ass"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadmium View Post
"SHIMMY!!!!" (aussie for f***kin awesome)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
You know you're a homebrewer when you tell what hops are in a fart.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Some strains of yeast ferment faster than others. My brews have pretty much been done with the first big BLAST of fermentation in about 48 hours. On my very FIRST brew, that got me worried. Now, I know better...or I've learned some patience.

I'd encourage you to leave it in primary for at least seven days. The yeast ARE still active...and will continue to be active until you or someone else drinks the beer!

glenn514

Quick Reply