The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question about secondaries...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
NocturnalEMT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Question about secondaries...

I keep reading threads about people doing a secondary....can someone please explain/elaborate the pro's and con's to doing this. Are there even any advantages to doing this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 16

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-p...8/#post1204663

Old 01-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Some people believe that by doing a secondary, you help clarify the beer and to improve the flavor of the beer by getting it off of the yeast cake. Others believe that it is unnecessary and that your beer will be just as clear regardless. Further those that don't believe in using a secondary also argue that you are actually doing your beer a disservice by removing the beer off of the majority of the yeast cake prior to the conditioning phase being complete. John Palmer used to advocate a secondary but he changed his position because in a homebrewing scenario, there is not enough pressure in the fermentor to cause any issues that would necessitate a secondary. I personally only move to a secondary after two weeks and thats only if I'm dry hopping or adding fruit...this in itself is not necessary, only a personal preference to keep the trub down. I also transfer to a secondary when lagering but only because I lager for extended periods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

There is a strong anti-secondary moment here. Most ales don't need one.

I do it to harvest yeast, dry hop, lager, age and/or fine. There are plenty of good reasons to use one.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
BigB
Recipes 

The only problem with that thread is that the counter arguments have all been deleted... Somewhere out there is a great thread in which several experienced brewers had a lengthy discussion of the topic that presented all sides of the argument.

Quote:

Old 01-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

What specifically are you looking for that you aren't getting from all the other threads on here about it? A basic definition of what a secondary is?

The traditional definintion of a secondary is a vessel used to clear, or bulk condition beer, or to add an andjuct such as fruit, hops (though many dryhop during extended primaries) or oak to the beer. Or to Lager beers in.

Besides the post which atom posted, the debates about using it as opposed to long primaries have been done to death on here....If you're looking for more of that, I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic.

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

Most everyone on this forum has already ventured their opinions on the subject many many many many many many many many many many times, and most of them have ended up in the above thread. If you really do want opinions, and even some facts and citations, and articles, podcasts and other things on this topic, hit that thread, then make up your own mind.

What else are you looking for/ Every day there's at least 2-3 threads about whether or not to use them, and what folks do....it's not like it's an undiscussed subject on here, if you need something more specific what is it?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Traditionally the secondary was to carbonate lagers. It's not really been part of ale brewing.

The only reason JP changed his POV is the risk of oxidation from the transfer not because the yeast are doing anything. If the yeast were still active they would scrub off any oxygen like they do in traditional lagering.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
NocturnalEMT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My bad.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
BigB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you're looking for more of that, I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic.

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .
Revvy, that was one of the threads I was referring to, so thanks for adding the link. But there was another thread that I thought you were involved in a couple years back with a brewer from overseas...unfortunately I cannot remember his name. It was a pretty good discussion as he had very strong opinions as to why to secondary. Do you remember who that brewer was or have a link handy to that thread. I agree its been done to death, but thats the problem for the new brewers... is that when they do a search, they are just innundated with way too many results and often overlook the quality threads.

Quote:

Old 01-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
NocturnalEMT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

the thread was great, but I have to start somewhere, I've actually put countless hours on here researching and learning all this. Maybe a sticky could be put in the beginners forum regarding continuous questions that rookie brewers have....just a suggestion. I even checking in the Hall o Fame sticky under introductions. It's not like I am posting on here without putting my search time in.

Quick Reply