Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question About Reusing Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
Monstar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted_Giraffe

What I'm slowly gathering though, is that freezing is not necessary as it seems that the yeast is still pitchable without needing to do a starter.

What is the average time frame you keep your yeast washed yeast (sorry if I'm stating this wrong, but I've only skimmed the page linked in the OP, though I will read it in full shortly).
Yea, I don't freeze. The oldest (T58) I used was 5 or six months. Worked great. My more used strains like 05 and 04 don't usually go more than a month before getting reused, but I brew a lot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #12
crazyseany
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

do you guys wash yeast that started as dry yeast packs? I was told that at the price... Why take a chance... Just use new yeast.

well if I can save 3-4 bucks a batch I figure it's worth it! What's your opinions?

also when reusing you just let it warm up to room temp and dump it in your primary when it's time?

Old 10-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
cactussam
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyseany
well if I can save 3-4 bucks a batch I figure it's worth it! What's your opinions?

also when reusing you just let it warm up to room temp and dump it in your primary when it's time?
That's pretty much the reason why I decided to start re capturing yeast. For the most part, my LHBS only sells liquid yeasts, so I'm gonna be saving around $8 per batch.

From what I'm reading, it's OK to just warm it up and pitch, but starters really guarantee good yeast health and faster fermentation due to there being a lot more yeast cells available.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
Monstar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyseany
do you guys wash yeast that started as dry yeast packs? I was told that at the price... Why take a chance... Just use new yeast.

Yep, dry yeast. Warm it up, toss it in.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #15
crazyseany
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

cool good to hear...!

what if the yeast is naughty?

or is that notty?
sorry I like to amuse myself

Old 10-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #16
Monstar
Recipes 

Ha! That's always possible, but I have never has a problem.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #17
cactussam
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstar View Post
Yea, I don't freeze. The oldest (T58) I used was 5 or six months. Worked great. My more used strains like 05 and 04 don't usually go more than a month before getting reused, but I brew a lot.
Another question for you, when you get ready to pitch your yeast into your brew/starter, what's it smell like? Mine had a bid of an acrid smell to it, not like the doughy smell I am used to out of the smack packs and what not. I'm a little worried that the yeast went bad, but I'm trying to just sit and wait to see signs of fermentation. I only pitched last night, so waking up this morning and not seeing my air lock bubbling away didn't help. I'm just hoping that I see some activity when I come home from work tonight in about 10 hours.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #18
brewmadness
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Not to hijack the thread but.... I've tried washing yeast once. I ended up with a good 3/4" of "stuff" in the bottom of the pint canning jars I was using. The photos I've seen on here usually show no more than say 1/4" of nice white yeast on the bottom of the jar. Mine seems to be more of a marbled color. I'm guessing leftover trub, etc. didn't settle out before I filled my pint jars. Will this be an issue trying to reuse this yeast? With so much in the bottom of the jar, should I bother with a starter? This originated as a dry yeast.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #19
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmadness View Post
Not to hijack the thread but.... I've tried washing yeast once. I ended up with a good 3/4" of "stuff" in the bottom of the pint canning jars I was using. The photos I've seen on here usually show no more than say 1/4" of nice white yeast on the bottom of the jar. Mine seems to be more of a marbled color. I'm guessing leftover trub, etc. didn't settle out before I filled my pint jars. Will this be an issue trying to reuse this yeast? With so much in the bottom of the jar, should I bother with a starter? This originated as a dry yeast.
I am doing this exact thing tomorrow, so I'll let you know. I am not one to worry about such matters though, and prefer to just try stuff and see how it goes. I'll turn to the internet experts when something doesn't seem right.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:35 AM   #20
cactussam
Recipes 

Great success! I came home tonight to a happily bubbling air lock and all is right again with the world

I'll be posting my recipe soon for this pumpkin ale, it's really gonna rock your world ;-)

Quick Reply