Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question about putting wort into primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4778 Times on 3473 Posts
Likes Given: 953

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearRich View Post
And to further clarify my thoughts, it isnt bad to keep the aroma hops in it, but it will have more of a dry hopping potential if left in the fermentor (I believe). Again, non critical, but postulation.
Nope, no dryhopping potential at all! Your theory is a bit off the mark on that.

A couple of reasons- one, the oils from the hops that were isomerized during the minute of boiling are finished. You won't get more out of them. Secondly, any co2 produced in primary will 'blow off" some of the delicate aromatics. That's why you don't dryhop until fermentation is over- it's not going to work until fermentation is over.

I recently heard a very interesting podcast on dryhopping and yeast, too, but I can't remember which one it was! It was talking about the reasoning behind dryhopping in the secondary and one of the reasons was because of the negative impact the yeast would have on dryhopping. Basically, the gist of it was that the yeast present during fermentation negate the dryhopping potential. I sure wish I could remember the episode, and even WHICH podcast it was! I listen to Basic Brewing Radio, and the Jamil shows on the BN, so I'm sure it was one of those two but for the life of me I can't remember which!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 04:32 AM   #12
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yoops, it may have been an older episode BrewStrong. EDIT: Checked, great dry-hopping episode dated 12/8/08...

I listened to that one a month ago; one of the guys (might have been Jamil) said they dump the hops right into the primary. I dry-hopped an IPA into glass primary (pellets in, then racked from kettle through venturi tube setup) with an ounce of 9% Centennial (an IPA). Though I'm sure some of the aroma was driven off by the CO2 production, I did this as a test: one carboy with, and one without the dry hops (split a 6 gallon batch in half). Both were bottled after three weeks in primary only, no filtration.

Both are great tasting beers, but the aroma is definitely there for the dry-hopped version. So much less hassle than racking to secondary.

Secondary 1 and 2: air
Bottles: air/dust

Old 05-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #13
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2k View Post
Yoops, it may have been an older episode BrewStrong. EDIT: Checked, great dry-hopping episode dated 12/8/08...

I listened to that one a month ago; one of the guys (might have been Jamil) said they dump the hops right into the primary. I dry-hopped an IPA into glass primary (pellets in, then racked from kettle through venturi tube setup) with an ounce of 9% Centennial (an IPA). Though I'm sure some of the aroma was driven off by the CO2 production, I did this as a test: one carboy with, and one without the dry hops (split a 6 gallon batch in half). Both were bottled after three weeks in primary only, no filtration.

Both are great tasting beers, but the aroma is definitely there for the dry-hopped version. So much less hassle than racking to secondary.
I think they were saying to dry hop in the primary, after the fermentation is nearly complete. Not at the beginning of fermentation.
But if your beers are great tasting and you got the aroma you wanted
I won't argue.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #14
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 38

ah enlightenment

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 05-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #15
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlater View Post
I think they were saying to dry hop in the primary, after the fermentation is nearly complete. Not at the beginning of fermentation.
But if your beers are great tasting and you got the aroma you wanted
I won't argue.
Oh, I agree, I believe they did state they waited until a slowing of fermentation, but for s***s and giggles I wanted to see just how much was driven off by CO2 production. The next IPA I do (I'm going to attempt a duplicate of the last one) I will split again, but this time one carboy will have the hops added at racking, and one will have it added after a few days when the WLP001 settles down a bit. I love experimentation!

Old 05-04-2010, 12:38 AM   #16
CorneliusAlphonse
Recipes 

torque2k, post a reply or a new thread or something when this experiment comes to fruition... i am interested.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:50 AM   #17
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I'll try to remember to do a new thread (as that's the proper thing to do) and post a link here. Hopefully my order comes in this week from Brewmaster's Warehouse in time to do a decent starter.

Quick Reply