Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question about putting wort into primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
CorneliusAlphonse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question about putting wort into primary

hey all,

when making an extract+grains beer today, i added the extract to my steeped water and put it on the heat. i forgot to stir. a minute later i noticed a caramel sort of odour, gave the pot a stir and realized a bunch of the malt extract had caramelized onto the bottom. i took it off the heat, gave a rigorous stir and it all dissolved and the gunk was no longer stuck to the bottom. The beer might be a little darker but no major issue thus far..

the wort begins to boil, and i notice black bits floating. i think "great! the burnt sugar can be skimmed off!" so i start skimming...

it isnt burnt sugar, but the black paint/enamel off the bottom of the pot!!

i figured, nothing for it, and got out the big bits, then added my hops. My boil is just about done, and i am wondering: should i pour my wort thru a strainer into my primary to filter out what's left? i am brewing a bitter and this will filter out all my delicious aroma hops. i figure, i already boiled the bits of paint for an hour ... what harm can it do to have it floating around in my beer as it ferments...

what do you guys think??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
CorneliusAlphonse
Recipes 

well, i just put it into the pirmary as normal - not much black stuff. funnily enough, the bottom of the pot looks fine - still black and reflective. maybe it was just burnt sugar after all? im really not sure, as it was very thin, almost film-like strips.

now relaxing, not worrying and drinking a homebrew

Old 05-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
DaveO
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You'll be fine. The paint chips or burnt sugar bits will settle to the bottom in the trub. You can rack off the top of it when you go to secondary or bottling.

Dave:-)

Old 05-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
billc68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had the exact same thing happen with my first unhopped malt brew. It was definitely burnt sugar cause I have a stainless pot. I assume it did nothing, I am having other issues with this brew but I am certain it has nothing to do with burnt sugars.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
CorneliusAlphonse
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billc68 View Post
I had the exact same thing happen with my first unhopped malt brew. It was definitely burnt sugar cause I have a stainless pot.
glad to hear that bill - not glad that you burnt your sugar but glad the same thing happens in stainless and enamel

Old 05-02-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default dry hopping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusAlphonse View Post
i am brewing a bitter and this will filter out all my delicious aroma hops.
what do you guys think??
I can't say that I have made (or enjoy) a bitter, so I'm a little unclear.

Normally aroma hops are removed from the wort prior to fermentation (filter, whirlpool). If you leave your aroma hops (typically boiled ~10mins before flameout) in the fermentor, then you are attempting to dry hop an already used hop. Is this how bitters are supposed to be made? If not, then the aroma hops should be filtered out anyway, and use another helping of fresh hops in the secondary (primary if you dont do a 2step), as a dry hop.
I feel like I may be a total moron, since I don't neccessarily know anything in depth about brewing a bitter, but I thought I would throw that out there.

In any case, it sounds like the sugars were what was flaking off. Although, I don't think I would use SS spoons (or anything metal for stirring), because enamal should not be scraped, so use a wood spoon. Yeah yeah, "contamination", but just take the spoon out when you flameout.

Hope any of the random (or parentetical) crap I said is of use!

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 05-02-2010, 01:48 AM   #7
CorneliusAlphonse
Recipes 

I definitely agree about not using metal spoons - i actually stirred it using a plastic spoon, but the handle gets kind of flimsy when heated, so i may switch to wood for my next batch. Generally, a little too much is made about sterility - as long as you clean a wooden spoon once you're done, and don't use it once you're done the boil, you'll definitely be fine.

as for the hops - i am just following instructions in a partial mash kit from my LHBS. the aroma hops were added in with ~1 minute left in the boil (other additions were at the start of boil, and 10 minutes left). no filtration is done. I'm not sure if that's how folks around here do their hop additions, but it is how I was instructed

Old 05-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
NuclearRich
Recipes 

ok, if it doesnt say to make sure you keep it in the fermenter, I would suggest your normal filtration that you remove hop crud prior to adding to the fermentor. That 1 min boil is adding all the aroma, and thats it.

Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 05-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearRich View Post
Normally aroma hops are removed from the wort prior to fermentation (filter, whirlpool). If you leave your aroma hops (typically boiled ~10mins before flameout) in the fermentor, then you are attempting to dry hop an already used hop. Is this how bitters are supposed to be made? If not, then the aroma hops should be filtered out anyway, and use another helping of fresh hops in the secondary (primary if you dont do a 2step), as a dry hop.
That's the first time I've ever heard such a thing. I don't strain out my hops. I haven't heard that I have to filter out my aroma hops since then I'm doing dryhopping with an already used hop. I'd love to see the data on those test studies, as I haven't heard it before. I know that some do strain/filter but as a matter of personal preference. I suppose it's possible that in a very long primary, some matter (including yeast) will begin to break down but that's a whole different story.

The hops oils only isomerize when boiling. That's why you add them at different times, to get flavor and aroma instead of bitterness. If you don't filter them out at adding them to primary, they don't really do anything, just fall to the bottom with the trub.

So, don't worry about straining out the hops. I don't. I've made over 250 batches of beer, and that's the first time I've heard this theory. Some of us have counterflow chillers, plate chillers, etc, and transfer via pump. How on earth can you strain then, if the stuff gets sucked up?

Old 05-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
NuclearRich
Recipes 

thanks for the clarification, yooper, like i said im not all that clear myself! simply theorizing... I do avoid keeping my hops in the primary, but it isnt possible to keep it all out. I don't mean to say it is a critical point, just a point of interest for me that I wanted to get someone (like yourself) with more experience to chime in on. Good work!
And to further clarify my thoughts, it isnt bad to keep the aroma hops in it, but it will have more of a dry hopping potential if left in the fermentor (I believe). Again, non critical, but postulation.

Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:

Quick Reply