Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question about priming sugar and bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
mioduz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question about priming sugar and bottling

I just bottled my first brew last night (which was a kit from beer-win.com) and it came with pre-measured neatly labeled ingredients and instructions. My next brew will be something I found on here (clone of Mad Elf from Troegs). I have read over the instructions countless times making sure I know what to do when. The final mystery is in bottling. For my first brew it came with 5 oz of priming sugar. Am I correct in saying this is corn starch? and for my new mad elf brew should I use the same 5 oz?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

No it is not corn STARCH it is a sugar made out of corn...more specifically it is Dextrose obtained from cornstarch, but it is not cornstarch...

You can also prime with dry malt extract, and any type of sugar you want...there's plenty of threads on her talking about different types of sugars.

I also have some tips to make the bottling process easier...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revv...herwise-94812/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1932 Times on 1398 Posts
Likes Given: 1055

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
No it is not corn STARCH it is a sugar made out of corn...more specifically it is Dextrose obtained from cornstarch, but it is not cornstarch...

You can also prime with dry malt extract, and any type of sugar you want...there's plenty of threads on her talking about different types of sugars.

I also have some tips to make the bottling process easier...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revv...herwise-94812/
Yeah, but Revvy, remember that one guy who primed with powdered sugar? That stuff has cornstarch in it! LOL!

No, do NOT use cornstarch! Better to use Table Sugar if you can't get corn sugar or malt extract.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
mioduz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Yeah, but Revvy, remember that one guy who primed with powdered sugar? That stuff has cornstarch in it! LOL!

No, do NOT use cornstarch! Better to use Table Sugar if you can't get corn sugar or malt extract.

can i find corn suger in a grocery store or will i need to order that with my ingredients? Also how do I know how much to use?

Old 01-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mioduz View Post
can i find corn suger in a grocery store or will i need to order that with my ingredients? Also how do I know how much to use?
Maybe in a health food store...but usually we order it with our ingredients.

usually it is 5 ounces for a typical 5-gallon batch of beer....but carbing to style you usually use less...each style is different and has different volumes so it is fun to tweak that.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
Zenman
Recipes 

doubt you will be able to find it in a grocery store, i found this out when making the apfelwine a few weeks ago, went to 5 stores in one day, even went to the help counter, had no idea what corn sugar was, kept trying to send me to corn syrup. 2 differnet manangers at 2 different stores said no such thing existed and had been in the biz for 30 years. They did have every kind of cane sugar you could imagine though.

So back to to LHBS I had to go, they have 1lbs and 3lbs bags of it Was just tying to avoid going back to the LHBS as I had been there that morning anyway to get a new wine theif and auto siphon, but forgot the corn sugar i needed, and didn't want to make the 20 min drive again.

Zenman
Phoenix, AZ
Primary -
Primary -
Primary -
On Deck - Bloody Hefe
Conditioning -
Drinking - Raison D'Zen, Pale Ale

Old 01-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #7
Joos
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

in a pinch you can use normal table sugar,but too much and it kinda tastes cidery.It's worth the 50 cents for dextrose at your local brew supply shop.that and(may have already been said)but for a 5G batch use about 3/4 cups or bout a half teaspoon per bottle.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Table sugar works fine, you won't be priming with near enough of it to cause any off taste. I do use dextrose most of the time because that's what you're supposed to use, but I can't tell any difference when I've used cane sugar.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 01-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

I have another tip about priming sugar...*blush*

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/1066658-post69.html

Old 01-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Table sugar is fine. Measure it out by weight*, boil it up in a bit of water and go to town.

I have quit buying dextrose since I don't use it in anything anymore.

* About 5% less by weight with table sugar

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Quick Reply