Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question about pitching yeast again.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
naristov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York, Ny
Posts: 61
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Question about pitching yeast again.

I think the wyeast smack pack I used had dead yeast. 1) The smack pack didn't well 2) I saw no signs of activity or growth in the starter I made. 3) No airlock activity after I pitched it into my beer.

I know that the only real sure way to test activity is a gravity reading which I will do. Brew day was Friday so Ill check on it next week. I have never had to repitch yeast. Should I make a starter for it also? When should I repitch it?


Thanks

__________________

Primary 1: Belgium Tripel
Primary 2: None
Secondary: None
Bottled:EggNog Stout, Dead Ringer IPA
Next: Smoked Cherry Ale, Jalapeno Session

Drinking: Dogfish Head Pumpkin Ale , Ommegang Abbey Ale

naristov is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
emmdubb23
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 221
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Default

I wouldn't wait more than a few days to test the gravity if you have no signs of fermentation.

__________________
emmdubb23 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,135
Liked 471 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naristov
I think the wyeast smack pack I used had dead yeast. 1) The smack pack didn't well 2) I saw no signs of activity or growth in the starter I made. 3) No airlock activity after I pitched it into my beer.

I know that the only real sure way to test activity is a gravity reading which I will do. Brew day was Friday so Ill check on it next week. I have never had to repitch yeast. Should I make a starter for it also? When should I repitch it?

Thanks
As stated the only true way to tell is a gravity reading.

How did you make your starter? Seeing activity is not always there in a starter, do you use a stir plate? Was there a yeast cake on the bottom of the starter vessel?

Smack packs do not always swell and if you read wyeast's website they will tell you this is irrelevant.

Airlock activity means nothing other than gas is escaping, if your vessel has a leaky seal it may not bubble at all.

Did you properly aerate the wort? Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to become active.
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
duboman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
naristov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York, Ny
Posts: 61
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmdubb23 View Post
I wouldn't wait more than a few days to test the gravity if you have no signs of fermentation.
Well I took an OG reading. 1.074


Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post

How did you make your starter? Seeing activity is not always there in a starter, do you use a stir plate? Was there a yeast cake on the bottom of the starter vessel?

Smack packs do not always swell and if you read wyeast's website they will tell you this is irrelevant.

Airlock activity means nothing other than gas is escaping, if your vessel has a leaky seal it may not bubble at all.

Did you properly aerate the wort? Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to become active.
I followed yeastcalc.com. 1.5L 160g (I think, I don't have my notes at hand) I did use a stir plate. There was minimal yeast cake. For aerateing the wort I dumped it between the brew pot and the fermentation bucket.

Should I wait to add more yeast? should I take the time to make a start? or should I Just pitch it ASAP.
__________________

Primary 1: Belgium Tripel
Primary 2: None
Secondary: None
Bottled:EggNog Stout, Dead Ringer IPA
Next: Smoked Cherry Ale, Jalapeno Session

Drinking: Dogfish Head Pumpkin Ale , Ommegang Abbey Ale

naristov is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
GASoline71
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GASoline71's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oak Harbor (Whidbey Island), WA
Posts: 608
Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

The last beer I brewed was a Dunkelweizen. I used Wyeast #3333. I smacked the pack about 5 hours before pitch time. I always set my smack packs on top of the fridge in the house after I smack them. It's kinda warm up there. After it had sat for 5 hours there was no noticeable sign of swelling at all.

I pitched it anyways (without a starter), and it took a little over 4 days to really kick off. With barely any "visible" sign of fermentation, I checked it after 2 weeks and the FG was at my target. I checked again 2 days later and it was the same. I racked it into a keg and hit the gas. I just tried it last night, and it's possibly one of the best Wheat beers I've brewed to date.

Gary

__________________
GREEN TRUCK BREWING CO.

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"
GASoline71 is offline
m00se Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
emmdubb23
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 221
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naristov View Post

Well I took an OG reading. 1.074

Should I wait to add more yeast? should I take the time to make a start? or should I Just pitch it ASAP.
I have had an infection get in an unfermented wort before... That sucks. Even still I would give it at least 3 days to show some sign of fermentation. Before I really worried about it. Just check the gravity in a couple days and if it has changed you are good, if not. Repitch as you never pitched.
__________________
emmdubb23 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:42 AM   #7
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,135
Liked 471 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

What yeast and at what temp are you at and what was the temp when you pitched?

I'm pretty sur eit will take off for you just need to be patient

__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
duboman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
naristov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York, Ny
Posts: 61
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
What yeast and at what temp are you at and what was the temp when you pitched?

I'm pretty sur eit will take off for you just need to be patient
Airlock activity. I'm going to check gravity reading in a couple of days. I never doubted the yeasties, I just have never had so little activity in a starter before. I wanted to be prepared in case I had to pitch again.

Thanks for all the advice.
__________________

Primary 1: Belgium Tripel
Primary 2: None
Secondary: None
Bottled:EggNog Stout, Dead Ringer IPA
Next: Smoked Cherry Ale, Jalapeno Session

Drinking: Dogfish Head Pumpkin Ale , Ommegang Abbey Ale

naristov is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeast Pitching question silverbullet07 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 09-21-2012 10:36 PM
Pitching yeast question McGreen Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 04-05-2011 12:57 AM
yeast pitching question Papinquack Wine Making Forum 2 12-14-2008 12:59 AM
A question about yeast pitching waterse Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 11-04-2008 08:54 PM
Yeast Pitching Question wanagohueco Wine Making Forum 6 11-07-2007 04:16 PM