question about my grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcuPirate07

Beer is a food group
Reaction score
So about 3 weeks ago I picked up a kit from my home brew store and he went ahead and milled the grains for me. I took it home and put it in a tubaware container. Im just now getting around to making the beer. So my question is, are the grains still good to use for my beer or have they lost some of their flavor.

Three weeks isn't that long, so I'd say you won't notice anything. The grains probably start to lose flavor as soon as they're ground, but it's gradual. I wouldn't wait too much longer though.

I have made pretty good beer via kits where the grain was milled for more than 4 weeks prior brewing. Storing your grains in a cool dry place will be best until you can get this brewed.

Sometimes if the grain is milled and then let to sit for a while, it oxidizes. If you get a cardboard taste in your beer, or if it tastes kind of like rust, then you might have gotten it from milling and then storing your grains. It's generally better to brew within 24 hours with milled grain, I hear.

I've used 2-3 year old grain with no problem. Granted, all my grain is unmilled.

Back