Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question about frementation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006, 12:45 AM   #11
uwmgdman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

If you find your beer isn't to your liking (too many fruity esters and hot fusel alcohols from the warm temperatures), you could try dry hopping it. That might mask some of the flavors, but who knows maybe it will turn out just fine. Just an option if you don't like it so much.

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2006, 12:59 AM   #12
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukem
Hehe nice Dibby. I'm in Melbourne, and it got to 42C or something on Sunday, I also live in a smallish apartment which can get quite hot during the day when I'm at work.

The wet towel seems to work great, keeps it at a better temp, I also have it in a cupboard.

Hopefully it will not taste too bad, I'll have to do things a little better for my next one.

Hope my bottles do not explode

Cheers,
If you could get a water source under the towel this may help (i.e. stick it in a bucket or on a tray with an inch or two of water).

42 is a little hot! Looks like you may have a brewing 'season'

If you think your bottles are going to explode just open one to let the pressure off to see how much build up there is (don't remove the cap completely or the nasties may get in though).

I have seen postings on here before where people open and close there entire batch to stop the explosions but it is very rare

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 12-13-2006, 02:27 AM   #13
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
you could try dry hopping it.
60 grams of Cascades for two weeks can hide just about anything.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-13-2006, 07:29 AM   #14
lukem
Recipes 

Ok I took a reading using the hydrometer, I kinda of feel dumb it took me awhile to realize how to read it It says 1.012. This one has colours for when to bottle things and the beer is yellow that sits around1.000-1.008 then its black colour till 1.012.

Oh well I do not know, I tasted it and it actually tasted OK (disregarding that it has to be carbonated etc).

I can't bottle it till Saturday anyway, will it still be ok just sitting in the fermenter?

Thanks

Old 12-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #15
debtman7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukem
Ok I took a reading using the hydrometer, I kinda of feel dumb it took me awhile to realize how to read it It says 1.012. This one has colours for when to bottle things and the beer is yellow that sits around1.000-1.008 then its black colour till 1.012.

Oh well I do not know, I tasted it and it actually tasted OK (disregarding that it has to be carbonated etc).

I can't bottle it till Saturday anyway, will it still be ok just sitting in the fermenter?

Thanks
Ignore the colored bands on the hydrometer, they are useless. 1.012 is most likely 'done'. The proper final gravity is your starting gravity times the yeast's % attenuation, which is usually around 75% but depends on the yeast.

Beer is ok sitting in a primary fermenter for up to a month, won't hurt it at all. After that sitting on the yeast cake can cause some off flavors as the yeast start to die off and break down. Most people move it to a secondary fermenter for 1-2 weeks after it's done fermenting, to allow yeast/grains/hops to settle out and clear the beer. If you don't have a secondary fermenter you can just leave it in the primary for 3 weeks to clear and then carefully get it off the yeast. Or you can temporarily transfer it to a bucket or stock pot if you have one, clean the fermenter, and stick it back in there. Or you can just go ahead and bottle it and drink it cloudy, doesn't really hurt anything

Quick Reply