Question about filtering during racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verotik

Reaction score
Since i didn't filter out my hops while transferring from my cooker to my primary...

I'll be using an auto-siphon. Anyone tried anything like putting a piece for pantyhose or something similar (sanitized of course) over the end of the suction end to help filter out sediment while transferring to the secondary?

The only time I tried to use a filter on the end of my racking cane, all it did was airate the beer.....

To be honest I haven't tried it since. Instead I am careful with my racking cane. I hold it in the top 1/2 of the transfer fluid level (as in 1/2 from top to bottom of liquid no mater the level of liquid), so that it doesn't draw from the top or bottom.... well until just about all I want is siphoned off.

That way I only have a little trube in the tube just at the very end, which falls out in secondary or keg in short order.

So as far as I'm concerned, even though I have thought to filter many many times and with various processes. I've never needed to filter to get great beer.

If you can't find a hops bag or don't want to use one for this then consider that I use some plastic screening material wrapped around the end of my siphoning tube. It costs about 40 cents per square ft at your local hardware store. You can secoure it with some zip-ties at the end. Be sure to sanitize these materials before placing it in your beer.

I used a hop bag to transfer from my kettle to primary. Seemed to work well although holding the siphon up off the bottom with out a filter of some sort will be fine like FxdGrMind said by being careful this works just as good and you end up with one less thing to clean

Back