Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question About Day 3 of Fermentation- Bubbles Stopped

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #21
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Yup. I think we all agree. Time is def your friend here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #22
myquestforbeer
Recipes 

Thanks everyone, but I have a question about that. You guys mentioned 3-4 weeks (or 2-3) then Union mentioned 3-5 days is all that's needed. Obviously you guys are the experts and I want to glean from your experience! but the instructions say this "between 3-5 day fermentation will slow or appears to stop (I should have read this again prior to the thread, I'm right on schedule haha). This is a good time to...test your specific gravity. After 5 days, transfer your beer to your secondary if you are using one. Add dry hops...condition for 7-10 days..." but you guys are saying at least a couple weeks. Union is suggesting 5 days from now, correct? According to the instructions, it sounds like, since this is the 3rd day, I should transfer to the secondary in two days. So, not to sound naive (which i am), but what's best here? 2 days from now, 3-5 days from now, 2-3 weeks from now or 3-4 weeks from now followed by dry hopping and conditioning?

Oh and I plan to let everyone know how it turned out!

Old 12-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #23
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

What I meant was,after your beer get's down to a stable FG (however long that takes),give it 3 to 5 additional days to clean up & settle out more. Anyway,at two weeks from the date I pitched the yeast,I take a hydrometer reading. If it's not down to FG yet,I'll give it another week. It can take that long to knock off another point or two. Then take another FG test. If it's lower by a bit,I'll give it 2 more days,then check it again. You want the reading to be the same over 2-3 days,in other words.
Then give it the 3-5 days I mentioned to clean up & settle out more before dry hopping or priming & bottling. Hope this clears it all up...

Old 12-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #24
myquestforbeer
Recipes 

Thanks Union, I think so. Just so I know I understood you, instead of following the instructions that came with the kit of testing the FG within 3-5 days of yeast pitch and transfer to secondary after the 5 days, I should give it at least a couple weeks, testing the FG at the end it that time every two days or so until it stays consistent, then transfer to the secondary, add dry hops and let condition for another 7-10 days according to the instructions. Did I get that right? Sorry if I'm reading too much into it. Thanks for all your help!

Old 12-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #25
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by myquestforbeer View Post
Thanks Union, I think so. Just so I know I understood you, instead of following the instructions that came with the kit of testing the FG within 3-5 days of yeast pitch and transfer to secondary after the 5 days, I should give it at least a couple weeks, testing the FG at the end it that time every two days or so until it stays consistent, then transfer to the secondary, add dry hops and let condition for another 7-10 days according to the instructions. Did I get that right? Sorry if I'm reading too much into it. Thanks for all your help!
Sounds like a plan to me.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #26
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Check it at the 2 week mark to see if it's done or close to it. No need to check it every other day,that wastes to much good beer. If it's not down in the stated FG range yet,just wait 1 more week & check it again. Then if it's in the FG range given,& the #'s are the same over 2-3 days.
No need to secondary for dry hop,but you can if you like.
And yes,7-10 days dry hop time is good & generally excepted practice.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #27
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Uniondr knows his stuff. Clarifying my comments above... rather than checking all the time, I use the "set it and forget it" method. After a number of weeks when everything is nice and clear I prime and bottle or keg. For me, this usually comes out in the 2-5 week range depending on the brew.

Once bottled I let it condition a number of weeks, too. When I have had the patience to wait, I get rewarded. My Irish Red is a case in point.

B

Old 12-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #28
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Thanks for the props,man. I do try to help out with everything I've learned since I started fermenting stuff some 40 years ago. That just made the transition to beer brewing easier. Still asked/ask questions about grey areas now & then. But this ain't one of them,since I won't be kegging anytime soon.What I've passed on here is generally fool proof. Not to mention,minimalistic.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #29
myquestforbeer
Recipes 

Sounds great...thanks guys! Here's me forgetting it for a while...

Old 02-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #30
myquestforbeer
Recipes 

Hey everyone, just wanted to provide an update on my beer and thank everyone for their advice and comments. I read up on this a bit more and started to see that there are really two schools of thought: the older method was to leave it in the primary for a few weeks before transferring to the secondary; the newer method is based on some of the newer "technology" which requires getting the beer off the cake and into the secondary for conditioning much sooner.

Being that this was my first batch, I decided to follow more closely to the instructions that came with the kit. I waited about 6 days in the primary and transferred to the secondary glass carboy, adding the flavoring hops and let that condition for about 3 weeks before bottling. Not sure what the difference would have been, but after leaving the bottles untouched for another 16 days, this was the result: a wonderfully mellow, yet hoppy IPA with almost 8% ABV with strong citrus notes (I am guessing due to the secondary and flavoring hops conditioning for three weeks). It tasted amazing! So smooth, the higher ABV was mellowed out by a nice, smooth.

I want to try this same recipe again, only this time follow the advice you guys gave here with the first method of leaving it in the primary for 3 weeks instead of the secondary just to taste the difference. It may be even better, who knows? First I am going to try a chocolate coffee stout! Anyway, thanks again!

Last edited by myquestforbeer; 02-03-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply