Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question about current IPA Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
Br0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question about current IPA Brew

Hey guys,

I'm Currently brewing a rather strong IPA, and it has a great hop flavor, but it lacks a front/beginning malt flavor, or any beginning flavor at all. It has a middle and an end, but no start! I know its a bit late in the process (the fermentation ends tomorrow) but is there anything I can add to the secondary to help produce or possibly help pronounce the existing malt flavors? I want this to be a great beer (it already tastes good, just needs a little more zazz), so any help you guys can give would be awesome.

also thinking of throwing some smoked woodchips into the secondary to give it that charred barrel flavor. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Not sure maybe someone can back me on this but MaltoDextrine?

Old 07-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There's nothing that I can think of that will help get you the malt flavor that you're looking for if your primary fermentation is almost over. I wouldn't worry too much about it yet as you still have some time for flavors to come through. Give it a couple of weeks in secondary then try it and see what you think.

You could certainly add smoked woodchips if you want. I would probably keep an IPA focused on hops. Will you be dry hopping this beer as well?

Old 07-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Tenchiro

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you are not sure about the wood, split the batch and add it to one side.

My last IPA I added 1# Amber DME and 1# 60L crystal and while it is pretty dark, it has really nice body and sweetness that compliment the Amarillo Hops well. Although if fermentation is nearly over there is not a lot you can do for it now, just chalk it up to a learning experience.

Last edited by Tenchiro; 07-10-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
Br0
Recipes 

Indeed I will be dryhopping, With light AAU hops, probably kent and something else, to keep the bitterness down, Its already very bitter, right where I like it. I simply want to add some hop flavor.

I was also considering What you suggested, Tenchiro, the splitting and whatnot. I intend to use something along the lines of a growler to test the "experimental" side of the batch with. the rest of it is being kegged.

So from what I've gleaned so far, and a lot faster than I expected, is that there are no adjuncts or extras I can add to the beer in-order to add a deeper body, correct?

Its not a big deal if thats the way it is, Like previously stated, It'll simply be chalked up as a learning experience.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

malto dextrine will add some mouthfeel and make the beer seem "thicker" it will also add to head retention, the problem is that it does not add very much of that "Malty" flavor. So in short you can add malto dextrine, but it won't give you exactly what you are looking for.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 07-10-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
Br0
Recipes 

Yeah I'm not planning on adding thickness to the beer, Its a bit heavy as is.

In a different direction, What is the best suggested way to filter the beer, in your opinion?
Simply taking a hydrometer test reveals a lot of particulates, of which are not yeast, but what I suspect to be residual malt and pellet hop particles.
I definitely don't have the huge multi-stage pumped filters that bigger microbrew groups have. any suggestions are definitely welcome.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:33 PM   #8
Eastside Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not a fan of filtering beer. You should look into fining the beer with gelatin. Also try dry hopping with 2 or 3 different varieties of hops, it adds complexity.

+1 on leaving it alone for a couple more weeks as it will continue to change.

Eastside

Old 07-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
King of Cascade
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Indeed I will be dryhopping, With light AAU hops, probably kent and something else, to keep the bitterness down, Its already very bitter, right where I like it. I simply want to add some hop flavor.
Dry hopping only added hop flavor not bitterness.

Quote:
In a different direction, What is the best suggested way to filter the beer, in your opinion?
Don't filter an IPA especially a dry hopped IPA. It will strip out all the hop flavor. IMO homebrewers don't need to turn beers over fast so filtering is pointless. Just let it sit and gravity will do its thing in time.

BTW - a strong malt profile isn't what most people try to get out of an IPA just enough to back up the hops also I try to thin my IPA's out as much as possible. I think your IPA will turn out fine....just give it time.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #10
jmulligan

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on giving it TIME. The first couple of batches I made seemed "weak" or to not have a ton of flavor prior to bottling. Once they'd been in the bottle for a few weeks, they tasted WAY better. This happened with my first IPA as well. It just kind of tasted like hop water. It will improve, don't mess with it.

Quick Reply