The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question about clear bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #21
Ariando
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

all bottles were in boxes and in a closet hoping to limit the light. BTW
I do have a couple of cases of stella bottles in lewisville.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #22
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariando View Post
I thought this would be a good spot to ask......

I have been using any color beer bottle (green clear brown) I just had my first 2nd bottle break. (carbonating) Teh first was a 22oz brew store bought bottle and the bottom only broke with a milk stout made from a kit. The second just now was a wheat kit bottled in a green dos equis bottle, it decentigated. My question revolves around living in Texas qith house temp around 78 probably higher midday. am i going to have to fridge all beers after a week or god forbid not brew in summer. Any thought would be appeciated.

Sorry about the poor spelling, I am off to clean up.
Bottles do wear over time, so they can break from that stress. In general, you can reuse a bottle which held beer before, or soda before. But your specifics might be different.

Somewhere is a discussion about bottle bombs. These come for 1 of 3 main sources. 1 Bad bottles - ie like water or juice bottles used for beer, or a now defective bottle -either through resue or manufacturing . But we can discount that as you said they held other products. 2 Over carb/bad carbionation. That is you put to much sugar in that bottle, eithe rdirectly, or there was a bid mixing of your bottling sugar at bottling time. 3. Possible infection/beer spoilage. There are certian bacteria that will infect the beer and eat more of the residual sugar that the yeast leaves behind, basically it is like a new primary and boom. bottle breaks.

Off hand, I'm leaning towards #2 in your case, although there could be manufacturing defect making elements of #1 part of the cause - that is you used a bottle which was bad when made.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #23
KepowOb
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I read somewhere not that long ago that commercial bottles generally are considered good for 12 uses. This is for commercial rebottling though, it's probably more uses for home brew (less travel wear and tear from use, plus mechanical capping). I have no idea at all how a brewery will determine the integrity of a bottle though...

Old 06-26-2013, 02:19 AM   #24
Ariando
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks a ton for the info. I think the bottom of the new store bought 22oz bottle must be a defective bottle or mistreated. My wheat beer is quite high in carbination, it is hard to pour and most of those are in the dos equis bottles. i have no idea how it got that way my numbers were almost perfect except 5-6 beers short of 52. Possible that or a poor stir to mix sugar.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #25
dodeebryan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariando
Thanks a ton for the info. I think the bottom of the new store bought 22oz bottle must be a defective bottle or mistreated. My wheat beer is quite high in carbination, it is hard to pour and most of those are in the dos equis bottles. i have no idea how it got that way my numbers were almost perfect except 5-6 beers short of 52. Possible that or a poor stir to mix sugar.
I have had a similar issue. I had an all grain batch that I kegged the majority of the batch. I also bottled 12 with carb tabs. 6 went in the fridge after 2-3 weeks they were carve up nicely. 6 stayed in pantry for 4-6 weeks around 78-83 degrees. These bottles were explosive. Had to open all of them in the sink. They kept foaming and foaming and foaming? I chalked it up to temp? But what do I know

Old 06-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #26
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1829 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

Maybe you used too many carb tabs,& the fridged batch,which would've carbed more slowly,seemed just right. Reduce the number of carb tabs used.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #27
brokebucket
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If you dont want to bottle with them, you can do some "brew art" with them. Next time you are at the LHBS, buy a couple different colored whole grains (dont grind them). Fill the bottles alternating grain colors and you have a nice kitchen conversation piece.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #28
Shenanigan
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodeebryan View Post
I have had a similar issue. I had an all grain batch that I kegged the majority of the batch. I also bottled 12 with carb tabs. 6 went in the fridge after 2-3 weeks they were carve up nicely. 6 stayed in pantry for 4-6 weeks around 78-83 degrees. These bottles were explosive. Had to open all of them in the sink. They kept foaming and foaming and foaming? I chalked it up to temp? But what do I know
I think from reading (I actually haven't even carbed my first batch yet) if you carb at higher temps, the CO2 can stay in the headspace, but if you fridge them for a week after the carbing period, the CO2 will "fall into solution" going back into the beer and stabilizing.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bulk aging:Mango Wine
Bottled: Caribou Slobber (7/14), American Honey Orange Wheat (7/15), AHS Budget IPA, EdWorts Hause Pale ale, Irish Stout, my Haus Pale Ale, Apfelwein

Old 06-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #29
DirtyPirate
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

At our local Home Depot they sell the glass Mexican Coke's. They are thick glass and work quite well. As mentioned before I keep them in the dark until a couple days before drinking. I have had no problems with them. This is my experience but I know everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #30
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1829 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigan View Post
I think from reading (I actually haven't even carbed my first batch yet) if you carb at higher temps, the CO2 can stay in the headspace, but if you fridge them for a week after the carbing period, the CO2 will "fall into solution" going back into the beer and stabilizing.
Co2 does goe into a clod solution easier than a warm one. But the beer has to be carbed & conditioned at room temps a couple weeks first. That fridge must not have been very cold to carb in there. Now,if you open a fully carbed beer that hasn't been in the fridge yet,it could foam over. Put it in the fridge for a week,& you have a more carbonation. Temps get to low,& the beer will carb very slowly,if at all. Yeast will go dormant below their minimum threshold.

Quick Reply